[Peace] Update from CU Citizens for Peace and Justice

Danielle Schumacher danielle at illinoisnorml.org
Mon Nov 29 13:36:36 CST 2004

This morning, members of CU Citizens for Peace and Justice had a productive planning meeting, and we would like to share news of our progress with everyone...

First of all, we have opened a bank account, and are in need of funds for all of our efforts.  Checks can be made to CU Citizens for Peace and Justice, and can be mailed to 1108 N. Busey, Urbana 61801.

CPRB and MANISHA ELKINS
We will continue helping the Coalition for Citizen Police Review, which meets this Thursday.  We will focus on gathering signatures on the petition calling for a Review Board, and will continue to follow the case of Manisha Elkins.  Manisha, along with a dozen officers, was at the scene of a bloody fight.  She became upset when police would not call an ambulance, and is facing 10 years in prison for kicking an officer when he was throwing her to the ground to detain her.  Manisha's past drug conviction has played a key role in her current charges, and she cannot afford representation.  Her next courtdate is the end of January.  If Julia Rietz does not drop Manisha's charges upon taking office, CU Citizens for Peace and Justice will need your help raising awareness of this case!

NAACP
If you are a member of the local NAACP, you will receive information from Carol about our next steps in rebuilding the organization to better serve the community.  If you have not yet gotten involved in this effort but would like to hear more about it, let us know and we will fill you in on how we are making history!

BUSTED!  A Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters
We would like to spread the word about this film, and sponsor more public showings.  More about the film is at www.flexyourrights.org.  Email danielle at illinoisnorml.org to borrow a copy, and please let us know if you would like to plan a showing, which would include finding a speaker to answer questions and provide supplementary information.

FORGIVENESS WEEKEND
Most of our meeting this morning was devoted to fleshing out the details of a weekend of events, February 18-20.  While we do not yet have a location or title confirmed, we have a tentative schedule of speakers and workshops and already know we need help with fundraising, cosponsors, publicity, and media work.  Later today, I will send an email outlining the schedule and all the areas in which we need help.

Thank you for your continued support!