[Peace] Sinclair/WICD Picket scheduled 10/23 (after Unity March)

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 18 13:43:53 CDT 2004

Here are details on the picket being organized at WICD's office in
Champaign. Some AWARE members (including myself) already plan on attending
this picket, which will take place immediately after the Unity March event
(see the AWARE website at anti-war.net for full details on the Unity March).

There is also a Sinclair/WICD petition being circulated (a copy is attached)

An announcement flyer for the picket is attached. Here are the details from
the flyer:

---- begin flyer text ----
PICKET Sinclair Broadcasting/WICD (ch 15)

Protest:
- Slanted news commentary The Point with Mark Hyman
- Preemption of prime-time programming to air Stolen Honor, a one-sided
political film presented commercial-free as a news documentary

Saturday, October 23rd
Following the UNITY MARCH[1]

Meet the organizers at 11:00 am[2]
At the fountain in West Side Park, Champaign (between University and
Church).

We will organize, review the rules, and reconvene at the picketing site in
front of WICD.

Contacts:             Colleen Vojak  398-5134    or Jean Stoia  367-3537

[1] For information about the Unity March, contact Carol Ammons at
lifestratinst19 at sbcglobal.net!
[2] If the Unity March has not yet ended at 11:00, we will meet immediately
after the Unity March!
---- end flyer text ----

Also, I'm forwarding the following from one of the picket's organizers, Jean
Stoia. This issue (Sinclair airing a Kerry smear on all 62 of its TV
stations with no forum for opposing views) crosses ideological lines and
nationwide opposition is rising from all political corners - the organizers'
goal is to involve folks from all political persuasions. Note that the
organizers are in "desperate need" of volunteers to assist them.

---------
>From Jean Stoia (flwriter at pdnt.com):

There has been a lot of strong negative reation from both the left and right
to Sinclair Broadcasting (Channel 15) forcing their 62 stations to pre-empt
national programming to present the highly political film, "Stolen Honor,"
without providing a smilar equivalent venue for opposing views in order to
attempt to influence the outcome of the election just days before the
election. It is 40 minutes of commercial-free advertising for Bush that will
reach 25% of the viewing market. Imagine a hapless viewer tuning into 15 to
watch their favorite program, and hearing an announcement that regular
programming will be suspended to present a special NEWS DOCUMENTARY.

I would not support the airing of Fahrenhiet 911 as a news documentary, just
as I do not support this airing. Sinclair is an extremely right-wing media
conglomerate that even pre-empted the Nightline program slated to read the
names of fallen Iraqi soldiers because they felt it would reflect badly on
Bush.  They have contributed the maximum amount allowable to the Bush
campaing.

The airwaves are reserved for "fair and balanced" reporting and must be used
in the public's best interest by law.  The airwaves are a public trust. The
movie, which was weeks in making, was produced by the swift boaters.

Sinclair has said Kerry can show up and answer questions on the spot.  This
is not an equivalent response forum to a pre-edited, slick, Hallmark type
"docu-drama."  The film includes highly edited and out of context comments
by Kerry and will present POW's reaction to anti-vietnam protests.  They are
expected to say how demoralized they were hearing Kerry's remarks before
Congress after the war.

Some are calling the "the October surprise."  Because it reaches such a wide
market, it is expected to profoundly affect the election.

If Bush wins the election, it is felt the airing of this film, will call
into credibility the legitimacy of the president, much like what happened in
2000

An FCC Official, Michael Copps said; (it) is an abuse of the public
trust...(it) is proof positive of media consolidation run amok when one
owner can use the public airwaves to blanket the country with its politcal
ideology - whether liberal of conservative."

The FCC is a non-partisan governement agency that is supposed to protect the
airwaves from abuse.

Attached  is a copy of the Picket Flyer, the Petition, and a couple of
articles providing context for the our concerns.  There is a petition
signing, sign making, and picket awareness party at David Sutton's house on
Wed, from 5-8pm.  He lives in Savoy at 1017 Hadley in the Devonshire
Subdivision.  Go S. on Prospect, Right on Harrington, L on Noel; SE corner
of Hadley and Noel.  Please encourage your friends to come out and sign the
petition.

We are asking people to join us in picketing Channel 15, after we meet at
the fountain following the march.

We feel the issue cuts across political ideologies.

PLEASE FORWARD ALL TO YOUR LISTSERV GROUP OF SPONSORS AND OTHER INTERESTED
PARTIES.  People should feel free to download the flyers and distribute them
at will.

We desperately need volunteers to help with all aspects of the the picket
since the idea came up so late.  Even if you can't come, you could help
beforehand. Please have interested helpers call me at 367-3537 or 369-2092
or email me at flwriter at pdnt.com or call Colleen Vojak at 398-5134 or email
at vojack at uiuc.edu.

All interested are encouraged to download and print out the picket flyer and
distribute and download the petition and collect signatures to give to me.

Please make signs to bring to the park.  Some suggestions:  "Stolen Honor"
Stolen Airwaves

Please encourage people to email Sinclair and WICD

Jean Stoi