[Peace] "Democracy Now!" on UPTV (new article and upcoming UPTV Commission meeting)

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 7 20:26:07 CDT 2004

Please forward this message far and wide.

For those of you interested in supporting the broadcast of "Democracy Now!
on Urbana Public Television (UPTV) and resisting censorship of our
public-access cable, I've posted a comprehensive article on the DN!/UPTV
issue (complete with audio clips of the  mayor and others) at the IMC web
site. Here's a summary:

This is the story of how Urbana Mayor Todd Satterthwaite is personally
obstructing the widely-supported effort to get "Democracy Now!" broadcast on
Urbana Public Television (UPTV). You don't think that could be happening? I
don't blame you. I was pretty surprised myself. But I challenge you to read
this article (which contains audio clips of the most recent UPTV Commission
meeting) and not come away with certainty that the mayor is personally
attempting to prevent "Democracy Now!" from being shown on UPTV. He may
think he can get away with censorship of "Democracy Now!", but he won't if
YOU act to oppose it by attending the next UPTV Commission meeting at noon
on Monday, September 13th in the City Council Chambers (largest room on the
ground floor) at the City of Urbana Building, 400 S. Vine St. in Urbana.

Here's the direct address of  the article:
http://www.ucimc.org/feature/display/20138/index.php

If you're still unsure of what this issue is all about, this comprehensive
article lays it all out.

Don't forget - please mark your calendar for Monday, Noon, 400 S. Vine St.

And by the way, there's now *another* good reason to attend this Monday's
UPTV meeting - there is growing outrage about how UPTV has censored the
programming of Martel Miller and Patrick Thompson (a documentary about
Champaign Police Stops). There may be public comment about this at the UPTV
Commission meeting and it might even show up on their agenda.

There's an article on the Miller/Thompson issue at:
http://www.ucimc.org/feature/display/20086/index.php

Hope to see you there =8-)