[Peace] Amnesty International Events

Nejan Huvaj hnejan at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 09:26:10 CDT 2005

-TODAY
For the last two days and today (10 am - 4 pm) we have a table on the
Quad on PATRIOT ACT. Sign petitions, letters, postcards and take your
picture in front of our sunset background - all of which will be sent
to our congressmen, asking them to limit the powers of
the Patriot Act or to "Let the sun rise on our rights, let
the sun set on the Patriot Act."

-TODAY
Also today, students nationwide are participating in
STANDFast.  They are giving up one purchase (ex. coffee, a
snack, etc.) and donating it to help those in Darfur,
Sudan.  Some students from Hillel will be collecting money
and we will have letters to send at our table on the quad.

-SUNDAY, APRIL 10
This Sunday, April 10th, come to the Central America
Seminar. Hear UIUC History Professor Nils Jacobsen speak
about genocide in Guatemala and mass killings in El Salvador
in the 1970s and 1980s. UIUC Agriculture and Consumer
Economics Professor Mary Arends-Kuenning will speak about
CAFTA (the Central American Free Trade Agreement) and will
also touch on her experiences in Nicaragua in 1990, during a
time of US intervention. We will also be showing a short
film on a Guatemalan co-operative. The seminar will take
place from 1:00-4:00pm in Latzer Hall of the YMCA.

-MONDAY, APRIL 11
Monday, April 11th is the Center for Latin American and
Caribbean Studies' symposium titled From a Springtime of
Democracy to a Winter of Cold War: The 1954 Guatemalan Coup
and its Lasting Impact on U.S./Latin American Relations.
Professor from all of the country will be speaking at this
event that you don't want to miss.  9:30-4:30 in the Pine
Lounge in the Illini Union.
http://www.clacs.uiuc.edu/