[Peace] Appearance by Joy Harjo. Mvsoke/Creek Poet

carol inskeep carolinskeep at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 08:58:22 CST 2005

        Mvskoke/Creek poet Joy Harjo will perform December 7, 2005 Levis Faculty Center, 7-9 p.m.

Joy Harjo, a member of the Mvskoke/Creek Nation, is a multi-talented artist and recipient of numerous literary and music awards. Harjo will share works from her seven books of acclaimed poetry, including How We Became Human, She Had Some Horses, In Mad Love and War among others. A veteran educator, Harjo writes eloquently about the revolution of love, forgiveness, spirits, crows and rum.  She began writing poetry when the political climate demanded American Indian singers and speakers, and was
taken by the intensity and beauty possible in the craft.

This highly anticipated event is being sponsored by the NAH Programming Committee, Creative Writing Program, Department of Latino/a Studies, and the Office for LGBT Concerns and also, paid for by the Student Cultural Programming Fee.

  -----------------------------------

  James Treat

  Associate Professor
  American Indian Studies