[Peace] upcoming exciting events at Allen Hall

Laura Haber lhaber at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 18 16:17:02 CST 2005

There are several upcoming exciting events at Allen Hall: a Mayoral Forum, Medea Benjamin from Global Exchange and Code Pink, Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn in-residence, a movie about Huey Newton, and many others. They are listed below in chronological order for your benefit. Feel free to forward wildly and to attend all of them!

*********************************************************************************************************************
Urbana Mayoral Election Forum

This year, the mayoral race will be determined by the Democratic primary (there are no Republican candidates).

The Democratic primary is this Tuesday, February 22.

Who are you going to vote for?

Come hear the three candidates share their visions for Urbana and answer your questions.
Be informed.
Let your voice be heard!

Urbana Mayoral Election Forum
Sunday, February 20
7:30pm
South Rec Room of Allen Hall

the candidates:

Laurel Prussing
Shirley Hursey
Tod Satterthwaite (incumbent)

************************************************************************************************************************************************
"A Huey P. Newton Story"
A film starring Roger Guenveur Smith and directed by Spike Lee

Monday, February 21
7:00pm
South Rec Room of Allen Hall

Actor and writer Roger Guenveur Smith has adapted his Obie Award-winning solo performance of A Huey P. Newton Story into an innovative film directed by long-time colleague and Oscar-nominee Spike Lee. Smith's stream-of-consciousness monologue is inspired by the writings and interviews of Newton, the late co-founder of the Black Panther Party of Self-Defense.The play toured international stages for several seasons to critical and popular acclaim. The film A Huey P. Newton Story has begun a similar trajectory, hailed at film festivals around the globe - including Venice, London, Vancouver, Acapulco, Oslo, Jamaica and Havana.

The youngest of seven, Huey P. Newton was born in a Monroe, Louisiana and moved with his family to Oakland, California as a child. In 1966, the 24-year-old Newton, with Bobby Seale, co-founded the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense. Newton and Seale articulated a ten-point plan of liberation which placed the Panthers in the international spotlight and made them the target of a well-documented program of government harassment. In 1967, Newton was arrested for the murder of an Oakland police officer which inspired thousands world-wide to take up the chant, "Free Huey!" Acquitted in 1970, Huey emerged triumphantly, only to be confined in a penthouse apartment, his self-described "stucco cell."

Leading a creative, complex and controversial life, Newton was an enigmatic figure. A largely self-educated political theorist and poet, Newton published an autobiography, Revolutionary Suicide; To Die for the People, a collection of essays; On Common Ground, conversations at Yale University; and Insights and Other Poems. In 1974, Newton went to Cuba, fleeing murder and assault charges in Oakland. He returned to Oakland in 1977 to stand trial, once again avoiding conviction. In 1980, he earned a Ph.D. at the University of California at Santa Cruz. His dissertation was published as War Against the Panthers: A Study of Repression in America. Newton spent the last years of his life fighting protracted legal battles and self-acknowledged vices. In 1989, he was murdered in Oakland by a 24-year-old drug dealer, his life tragically extinguished on the same streets where he had labored to deliver "All Power to the People."

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Medea Benjamin
Founder of Code Pink and Global Exchange

Will be speaking about
"War and Grassroots Activism"
Tuesday, February 22
7:30pm
Main Lounge of Allen Hall
1005 W. Gregory, Urbana

(Free signed Medea Benjamin item to anyone who brings proof that they voted in the Feb 22 primary elections.)

About Medea Benjamin:
Medea Benjamin is Founding Director of Global Exchange. For over twenty years, Medea has supported human rights and social justice struggles around the world. Medea is a leading activist in the peace movement and helped bring together the groups forming the coalition United for Peace and Justice (see http://www.unitedforpeace.org/ ). She is also the co-founder of Code Pink: Women for Peace, a women's group that has been organizing creative actions against the war and occupation of Iraq. CODEPINK is pushing for a reorientation of budget priorities in the US to focus on heath care, education and housing, not war. Code Pink now has over 100 chapters throughout the United States (see http://www.codepink4peace.org/ ).

Medea has traveled several times to Iraq and helped establish the Occupation Watch International Center in Baghdad. The center monitors the military occupation forces and foreign corporations, hosts international delegations, and keeps the international community updated about the occupation forces' activities through its website, http://www.occupationwatch.org .

She is author of eight books, including "Bridging the Global Gap, The Peace Corps and More," and the award-winning book "Don't Be Afraid, Gringo: A Honduran Woman Speaks from the Heart."

Medea received a Masters degree in Public Health from Columbia University and a Masters degree in Economics from the New School for Social Research. She worked for ten years as an economist and nutritionist in Latin America and Africa for the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, the World Health Organization, the Swedish International Development Agency, and the Institute for Food and Development Policy.

Co-sponsored by: Campus Greens, Feminist Majority, United Students Against Sweatshops, Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort

******************************************************************************************************************************************************
Coffehouse Open Mic
Thursday, February 24
8:00pm
Main Lounge of Allen Hall

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Coming soon…

Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn
Guests-in-Residence 2/27-3/4
Sunday, February 27 - Opening Program: Another World is Possible: Reflections on War, Democracy & Freedom

A full schedule for the week will be available at www.housing.uiuc.edu/living/unit1

About Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn:
Bill Ayers is a school reform activist and Distinguished Professor of Education at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He is founder of the Center for Youth and Society and founder and co-director of the Small Schools Workshop. He has written extensively about social justice, democracy, and education. His interests focus on the political and cultural contexts of schooling as well as the meaning and ethical purposes of teachers, students, and families. Ayers’ book Fugitive Days recounts his experiences in the Weathermen and the Weather Underground. Bernardine Dohrn was politically active on the national scene during the days of college student protests in the 1960s and 1970s as a member of Students for a Democratic Society, the Weathermen, and the Weather Underground. She earned a law degree from the University of Chicago and now continues her activism in her work as Clinical Professor and Director of the Northwestern University Law School’s Children and Family Justice Center.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
The Fog of War
The latest film by Errol Morris
Winner of the Academy Award for Best Documentary

Monday March 7
7:00pm
South Rec Room of Allen Hall

It is the story of America as seen through the eyes of the former Secretary of Defense, Robert S. McNamara. One of the most controversial and influential figures in world politics, he takes us on an insider's view of the seminal events of the 20th Century. Why was this past Century the most destructive and deadly in all of human history? Are we doomed to repeat our mistakes? Are we free to make choices, or are we at the mercy of inexorable historical forces and ideologies?

>From the firebombing of 100,000 Japanese civilians in Tokyo in 1945 to the brink of nuclear catastrophe during the Cuban missile crisis to the devastating effects of the Vietnam War, The Fog of War examines the psychology and reasoning of the government decision-makers who send men to war. How were decisions made and for what reason? What can we learn from these historical events?

As American forces occupy Iraq and the possibility of additional military conflict looms large, The Fog of War is essential viewing for anyone who wants to understand how the American government justifies the use of military force. Combining extraordinary archival footage, recreations, newly declassified White House recordings, and an original score by the Oscar nominated composer, Philip Glass, the film is a disquieting and powerful essay on war, rationality, and human nature.

This screening is being done as part of Pol Sci 280 but is open to the public.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
INNER VOICES Social Issues Theatre presents:

Apathy, Armor and Accusations

an evening of timely one act plays that offer a look at the effect of the current social climate on our personal lives and, in return, our ability to personally effect the current social climate

A discussion with the audience follows.

Tuesday, March 8th at 8pm
South Rec Room of Allen Hall

INNER VOICES Social Issues Theatre is sponsored by the Counseling Center, McKinley Health Center, and the Department of Theatre at the University of Illinois.

Free and open to the public

Laura Haber
Program Coordinator of Unit One
University of Illinois