[Peace] AWARE minutes 6-5-05

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 09:26:35 CDT 2005

AWARE minutes 6-5-05

Durl facilitating, 21 attending.  Plus, a surprise
appearance by long-absent AWARE-ista Paul Patton and
cameo by Gabe Stanton!

News of the Week - Carl absent, this was a group
activity.

Introductions - skipped, no one new.

Keys - Lisa away until August.  Inside door needs
unlocking.  Phil can do this.  Last one out each week
must be sure door is locked behind us.  Phil will
check on the requirements for the outside door.

New Ideas - Ruth Wyman is organizing a peace and
justice run for next May (Carol I.).  Meeting
concerning these plans Tuesday June 7 at 7pm at the
Urbana Free Library.  A good event for us to support.
- Charlotte Green says the group that marked Hiroshima
Day in the past will be doing it again, around August
6. A good event for us to support.
- Jan has Kathy Kelly’s new book available for sale.
- Consider having News of the Week after intros again?
(Ricky)
- Annual Unity March coming up later this year, needs
input, more groups involved (Sis. Carol).  Likely
concentration on police/criminal justice issues.
There is a video, soon DVD, of last year’s march.
- Rob Scott wants pictures of people picking berries,
cherries around Lincoln Square in about 3 weeks, to
make wine and to encourage further planting of edible
plants around the mall (Bro. Aaron).  Volunteers
needed to pick about 15 lbs.
- Carl and Aaron watching Patrick Thomson’s case.
There are concerns about the additional charges and
lack of evidence, and he is now representing himself.
In general, issues of public defenders need
addressing: accused often get one meeting only with
public defender, and this at the courthouse the day of
their trial.  Court watchers needed Monday at 1 pm,
Court Room A.

Finances - no report this week.

Main Event - Over 30 protesters, enthusiastic support
from passers-by.  See report posted separately.  News
from Neptune announced that we are protesting twice a
month -- needs clarifying.

Farmers’ Market - Yard signs need re-stocking: group
says go ahead.  Out of tee-shirts, and they have been
requested.  For the agenda next time: merchandise.

Taste of Champaign - application sent, need volunteers
to staff table.

July 4 Float - Theme of parade this year is “Caring
for Our Community”, our take: “Billions for War,
Pennies for Our Communities”.  Committee has met,
plans underway.  Need to really ham it up.  Need
volunteers to dress up in costume.  Next meeting
Thursday June 9, 7:30 at the Yoga Institute.

Counter-Recruitment - Met Wed. with Ken and Gina, who
work at Parkland, discussed how to reach Parkland
students (Lisa).  Possible to funnel info thru Ken, or
organize a student group.  There is a Quad Day
equivalent in the fall, Career Day in the spring,
where we can include alternatives to military service
(e.g. Peace Corps, Americorps, NGO’s -- criticism of
Peace Corps as tool of US foreign policy - Al).
Another idea is a scholarship fund, $100-250 for
student with activist bent: fundraising possible at
Farmers’ Market, and other events, but AWARE could
also make a contribution -- for the agenda next week.

Urbana Free Library June 15 - Ed Yohnka speaking at
7pm, cosponsored by the ACLU.  Channel 3 offered a 2-3
minute interview on this, to air on June 13, and after
much consideration we decided we could squeeze it in.
Durl will represent us.  Yohnka also on WILL on June
8, maybe elsewhere, too.

Democracy Now! - Effort to get DN on WILL-TV will be
long term, Randall has little time at moment to pursue
it.  Help welcome.

Events of the Past Week - Bob Wahlfeldt thanks
everyone for helping him celebrate the beginning of
another year of his life. (applause)

Upcoming Events - Coalition for Police Review will
meet Tuesday June 7 at 8pm at the IDF (Ricky).  Group
meets first and third Tuesdays.
- IMC space committee meets every Wed at 7pm.

Adjourned.

Next meeting agenda items: 1. Merchandise, 2. AWARE’s
contribution to a scholarship for rabble-rousing
students.

Any mistakes, omissions or distortions are of course
everyone’s fault except mine.  Please keep them to
yourself. - RB