[Peace] 56 members of Congress introduce the RISE Act

danielle at illinoisnorml.org danielle at illinoisnorml.org
Fri Mar 11 18:54:49 CST 2005

The Higher Education Act provides financial aid for underprivileged kids who
want to attend college and University.  The Higher Education Act Drug Provision
bars anyone with a drug charge from receiving financial aid.  This is a policy
that makes absolutely no sense, and it of course disproportionately affects
young Black men and others.  Peope with drug charges should be given a second
chance and should have full access to financial aid.

Below is some recent news related to this policy.  We are hoping Congress will
repeal the Higher Education Act Drug Provision, but it will take grassroots
action and lobbying.