[Peace] AWARE Highlights

carol inskeep carolinskeep at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 10:59:07 CDT 2005

We had a small, efficient meeting in our new IMC space.  Lisa was the facilitator, and about a dozen folks attended.  Here's some of the high points - corrections welcome.  Durl will be our facilitator next week.

News of the Week - posted separately by Carl; those who missed the News from Neptune interview with Mohammad al-Heeti may want to take a listen at www.newsfromneptune.com.  Sadly, Mohammad was notified just after the radio show that his mother passed away, and AWARE agreed to send a card and possibly flowers or a donation to an organization of the family's choice; Carol will check with Roaa to see what might be appropriate.

IMC Update - Mike Lehmann stopped by to give us an update and to urge AWARE folks to get involved, possibly by attending the Space Meeting on Wednesday evenings at 8pm at the IMC.  He gave tours around the new building after the AWARE meeting ended.

David agreed to take on the responsiblity of doing weekly agendas for awhile.

Farmer's Market is going smoothly.  We took in about $70 on Saturday.  David will email the list if we need more help next week.  As of the meeting time, he was still searching for someone who might repair the AWARE canopy...

AWARE Presents:  A Community Forum on the Patriot Act with Ed Yohnka of the ACLU which will take place on Wednesday, June 15 at 7pm at the Urbana Free Library Auditorium.  Please pass the word.

The Working Group for the 4th of July Float will meet this Thursday, June 2 at 7pm at Linda Evans home in Savoy (305 Calvin)

Those interested in exploring Counter-Recruitment at Parkland will meet for a vegan, wheatless potluck this Wednesday at noon at Meadowbrook in the shelter near the Herb Garden.  More info to come.

We'll be protesting this Saturday from 2 - 4pm for our regular first-Saturday-of-the-month Main Event in downtown Champaign.  Folks are encouraged to make new signs and we'll plan a sign-making party soon.

Events of the Past week - included a brief update on Ivan's continuing legal issues, and David Green's interview on a South African radio station.

Upcoming Events:

Potluck to celebrate the Wonderful Bob Wahlfeldt and all things Peace and Justice:  Saturday, June 4th at 6pm.  It's a potluck, of course.

Poetry Reading by Matt Murrey on Monday, June 6 at the Urbana Free Library auditorium, beginning at 7pm

http://mail.yahoo.com