[Peace] Katrina help

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 09:46:07 CDT 2005

Folks on this listserve are likely to already be aware
of the dismal performance of FEMA and other supposedly
responsible institutions in the last couple of weeks.
In fact, FEMA's record of absurdity goes back several
years, but they have distinguished themselves lately.
And the problems - some of them, I think, criminal -
seem to have occurred on every level.  Most affected
people in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama have been
left to fend for themselves.

As I discussed with a few folks on Saturday, my own
family in Missisippi have been relatively lucky under
the circumstances.  They only lost all their
possessions, their homes, their jobs, their pets,
their neighborhoods, their daily routines, our family
pictures, some measure of mental health and so on.
But they are alive and they were not trapped and left
to die in a sweltering cess pool while bloodless
officials condemn them for stealing water and fancy
hotel busses ferry out their guests' luggage.

There needs, frankly, to be hell to pay for what has
happened - on a number of levels.  A good discussion
on the other listserve (peace-discuss) is in order, as
well as letters to Congress, newspaper editors, etc.

But there are also ways we can help.  Through much of
this so far and for probably most of the days ahead
people will for the most part have only one another to
rely on, unfortunately.  That does not mean we should
allow the government and corporations to abdicate
their responsibilities, only that we need to "walk on
two legs": demand policy change - I think profound
policy change - and meanwhile help our neighbors.

Part of the Terminal Building in Champaign is being
used as an aid distribution, referral and medical
center for refugees/evacuees from the Gulf Coast, as
many of you may already know.  It's open from 8am to
8pm every day and will remain open, they say, "as long
as the need continues."

I'm going down to help out and I encourage others to
do so, too.  There are certainly many ways to help.
Giving to the Red Cross is another good one.  But
whatever we do, we need to do it now, and keep in mind
that "the need" will almost certainly be there -not
just for days or weeks - but months, maybe years.

Thanks-
Ricky