[Peace] Re: Local Katrina Volunteer Efforts

Joan Nelshoppen jnelshoppen at insightbb.com
Sat Sep 10 04:15:25 CDT 2005

Ricky Baldwin and Everyone,

Do you know anyone in the plumber and pipefitters local 149 (or know someone
else that might know one)?  They handed out flyers at the labor day picnic
asking people to bring blankets, clothing, shoes and toiletries to ship to
LA.  When I dropped off my stuff on Wed they were completely overwhelmed and
would be unable to take all that was donated in that trip.  They plan on
making a later trip but wouldn't it be great if the donations sitting in
their union hall could go down now instead of later.  If the two groups
could get together it might save the union making another trip and the
Ammons truck going down half empty and the best part would be all the
clothing and essentials would go down there more quickly.

Will the trailer at the Ill Employ Training Center be there all of Saturday
or possibly into next week?  I have a friend who is a dj at a local radio
station and he was doing a lot of announcements about local 149's collection
for Katrina.  If he's working tomorrow (and I dont know that) he'd probably
be very happy to make some announcements for this drive.  His announcements
brought in a lot of goods to the local's drive and I'm sure he could do the
same thing for us.

If the truck is going to be here a few more days, we could get out more PSAs
to WEFT, WILL and maybe something in the NG,  We could also send more
e-mails to different groups here in UC.

I guess the biggest question I have is HOW LONG WILL THE TRUCK BE HERE?
Until it gets full?  Until the end of Sat?  Maybe through Monday or Tuesday?

Would someone please call me at 217-369-2853 if you know how long the truck
will be here on Saturday.  9 pm?  I can try to get that on the radio. (call
me with this instead of emailing since I will be away from the computer)

If anyone knows if the truck will be here a couple more days could you
please e-mail me?  I'd like to help get more publicity out.  What is the
date we hope to have someone drive it down?  I imagine it was probably
today,  Is there a new date we're aiming for?

Peace,
Joan