[Peace] Kelly Tsai at Unit One/Allen Hall 2/19-2/23

Laura Haber lhaber at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 16 15:19:07 CST 2006

Please forward widely:
DefPoet and multidisciplinary theater artist Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai will be a Guest-in-Residence at Unit One/Allen Hall Feb 19 - Feb 23. She will be performing and leading workshops on writing, dance, theater, art, and music each night of her residency. All programs are open to the public and take place at Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory, Urbana unless noted. Her opening program "Move This Earth! Spoken Word with Def Poet Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai" is Sunday, Feb 19 at 7pm. See below for her full schedule or www.housing.uiuc.edu/living/unit1

  About Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai:
Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai is a Chinese/Taiwanese American spoken word artist who strengthens cultural pride and survival through how she lives and how she spits. She has been featured at over 100 performances across the country including venues like the Nuyorican Poets Café, the House of Blues, the Apollo Theater in Harlem, and two seasons of Russell Simmons Presents HBO Def Poetry. Splitting her homes between Chicago and New York, Kelly also tours nationally with Mango Tribe and "We Got Issues!" She is the author of two chapbooks Inside Outside Outside Inside and Thought Crimes. Her first full-length play, Murder the Machine was excerpted at Chicago's first Hip Hop Theater Festival in the fall of 2005. For more info about Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai go to www.yellowgurl.com.

  Schedule:
Sunday, Feb. 19, 2006         7:00 PM - Opening Presentation: Move This Earth! Spoken Word with Def Poet Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai
Def Poet and multidisciplinary theater artist Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai will share spoken word, song, movement from her travels touring the U.S. and beyond. She has been described as "...a bundle of poetic ferocity and joy like you've never seen." - Marty McConnell, louderARTS Project and "This sister makes you nod in recognition, aching and joy." -Tara Betts.

  Monday, Feb. 20, 2006         7:00 PM - Soundtrack of My Life: Writing from the Music in Your Head
Whether it's hip hop, r&b, garage, punk, folk, blues, chopped and screwed, reggaeton, or death metal, each writer has a wealth of musical history in their heads, hearts, minds, and bodies. This workshop will tap into each writer's musical history - from your parents' record collection to the radio station that you hate to that song that reminds you of your first love -- to develop poetry that links memory, music, and experience.
  9:00 PM - Dance Fusion Workshop
Beginners welcome! This workshop will be a two-hour class integrating warm-ups and choreography from diverse dance traditions like butoh, hula, capoeira, afro-caribbean, Dunham technique, modern, ballet, and hip hop. Come ready to move and experience the similarities and differences in these diverse forms.

  Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2006         12 noon - Asian Pacific Islander American Community-Building at the Asian American Cultural Center, 1210 W. Nevada, Urbana
  What are the key issues often addressed by APIA organizations and what are the often overlooked issues that affect and shape our communities?  We will draw from students' stories of community-building to identify what are the successes and difficulties of building a Pan-Asian identity towards concrete solutions.
  7:00 PM - Chitown vs. New York: Beats, Rhymes, and Life
This interactive dialogue will introduce some of the best in Chicago and New York spoken word, poetry, and music. We will go into the legacies of spoken word, poetry, and music from each of these cities and how these forms of _expression document, challenge and inspire the social and political past, present, and future of these worlds.
  9:00 PM - I and I Collage Workshop
In this workshop, students will have the opportunity to explore their identities - race, class, gender, sexual orientation - what threatens those identities and what strengthens those identities through collage work. Students will have an opportunity to share and discuss their collages and create _expression to further explore how identities become challenged on a college campus.

  Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2006         7:00 PM - This is What America Looks Like
Multicultural history often just places us alongside each other: Black, White, Latino, Asian, Arab, Native American as if the histories were parallel and not mixed up with each other every step of the way. This dialogue will push us to uncover the multicultural nature of America's REAL history via the interconnectedness of people's struggles and histories and a space to hash out the potential of the power of our multicultural future.
  9:00 PM - When A Dollar Costs A Dollar: Be Your Own Boss as a Working Artist
Enough with technique and reading lists, what does it really take to be a working artist? This workshop will take participants through identifying how to sketch out the possibilities of a financially viable career as a working artist through goal-setting and exploring different models of entrepreneurship as ways to sustain creative careers whether you're an mc, graphics animator, sculptor, spoken word artist, fashion designer or anything else that your heart can dream. Artists and non-artists welcome!

  Thursday, Feb. 23, 2006         7:00 PM - I Did Not Choose This Journey: Understanding Globalization Through
Movement & Poetry
Through movement, theater, and poetic exercises, participants will explore the issues of migration, colonization, and globalization using their own bodies, experiences and words. We will uncover the linkages between political issues like migration, colonization, and globalization to our personal lives through collaborative creation and dialogue.
  9:00 PM - Speak Your Truth: Open Mic
Open mic for poets, mc's, storytellers, dancers, and musicians to speak your truth!

  Laura Haber
Program Coordinator of Unit One
University of Illinois
68 Allen Hall (MC 050)