[Peace] Help Start a local Bike Co-op - first meeting Aug 9

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue Jul 25 14:11:12 CDT 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Help Start a Bike Co-op
& develop U-C into a cycling-centric community!

Wed. August 9, 7 PM
at the Independent Media Center
in the downtown Urbana post office building (Broadway & Elm)

organized by the Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign: www.uiuc.edu/ro/IBP
hosted by the Independent Media Center: www.ucimc.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ABOUT THE BIKE PROJECT
There's a new group in town!  We are The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign
Inc., a non-profit organisation dedicated to expanding cycling services
both on campus and in the communities of Champaign and Urbana.

At this moment we are working on an automated free bike distribution
system at one of the University Residence Halls that should launch in
August.  In addition to expanding that service, we also are interested in
setting up a bike co-op where people can come and work on their bikes;
sharing access to tools, workspace, spare parts and creativity.

ABOUT THE INDEPENDENT MEDIA CENTER
Last year the IMC purchased the downtown Urbana post office building and
has been converting it into a community media & arts center.

The IMC includes a performance stage, community radio station (WRFU
104.5), production studios, art studios, wood and silkscreening shops,
library, a knitting shop opening mid-September, and we are working on a
coffee shop.  The IMC is a great central location for a community bike
co-op.

If you can't come but want to stay in the loop OR you want to donate
money, bikes, or tools, e-mail: illinibicycleproject at gmail.com.