[Peace] Thanks! CPRB hearing a big success! & next...

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 25 10:34:26 CDT 2006

A million thanks to everyone who turned out to last
night’s Urbana public hearing on civilian oversight of
police!  We eagerly await the News-Gazette’s take, but
the meeting was clearly a resounding success in every
way for supporters of oversight.

We of course knew many of the eloquent speakers, but
not all, and I have to say that some very plain-spoken
folks who turned up were in my opinion very helpful to
the cause, even if all of us may not agree with
everything they said.

I also think it was very good that a few supporters
took issue with sections of the proposal that they see
as too weak.  Thank you especially for that.

I think our supporters on the City Council (and the
supportive Mayor) were gratified to see us this time,
particularly after last week’s display by the FOP
boosters.  And our detractors were clearly taken
aback, Heather Stevenson in particular.

Anyway, thanks again.  Thank you, thank you, thank
you!

We will keep our ear close to the ground and try to
give you more notice next time.  And there will
definitely be a next time.

To talk it over, join us at the next meeting of the
Coalition for Citizen Police Review
7pm on Wednesday July 26
PRC Meeting Room, downstairs at the Illinois Disciples
Foundation (IDF)
Corner of Wright and Springfield, Champaign

Strategy, analysis and politics – all we need is YOU!