[Peace] CUCPJ demonstration 6PM tonight! (plus other council tips)

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 3 16:42:18 CDT 2006

In addition to the Jobs with Justice picket starting at 6PM tonight outside the
city council entrance, C-U Citizens for Peace and Justice will be demonstrating
with signs calling out the section 8 pro-discrimination council members (Pirok,
Bruno, McIntosh and Schweighart) and giving notice to Feinen that we are
watching her very closely.

The demonstration will begin 6PM across the street from the City building
entrance on Chester (that is, across Chester street).

Please come out to help with the signs or just stand with us (we also need
helpers to reserve seats in the City Council Chambers so our large signs will
have maximum visibility).

Other notes:

For those of you who are really tight on time, it should be safe to arrive
7:30PM. Any later and it gets dicey as to whether you'll catch the issue.

Audience participation does not require filling out a form as in Urbana. You
just come to the podium when audience participation is requested.

Urbana and other folks are normally allowed to speak.

While there is a chance audience participation will be allowed before the bill
is addressed and voted on by the council, the actual agenda item sets Audience
Participation to happen immediately *after* the bill is considered/voted on.
It's strictly up to Mayor Schweighart and could just depend on his mood as to
how much audience participation is allowed and when.

There is a chance the council may vote to "table" the measure to duck and dodge
for now in the hopes that they can try and get this through later. (we should
call them on that if they do).