[Peace] Fwd: : [LatinoP] Disappointing News Regarding the Secure Fence Act

May Kao Xiong maykaoxiong at illinoisalumni.org
Fri Oct 13 12:16:01 CDT 2006

	As many of you know, the United Sates Senate recently voted in
favor of the bill proposing the construction of a 700-mile fence along
the US-Mexico border, the so-called "Secure Fence Act of 2006." We would
like to thank Senator Dick Durbin for his vote against the bill,
continuing a long record of support for immigrants' rights and for our
community's pursuit of the American dream. While the current political
makeup of congress did not lead those engaged in the fight for
immigrants' rights to be particularly hopeful about the outcome of the
bill, we were shocked and saddened to learn that Senator Barack Obama,
who has previously spoken out in favor of immigrant rights, suddenly
reversed positions and voted with the Senate's Republican majority.
(Source: The Washington Times, September 30, 2006)

	Not only is this act sending the wrong message about the
hardworking, family-oriented individuals in our community, but it is
also an ineffective measure designed for political pandering instead of
true immigration reform. As long as economic conditions in Mexico and
other Latin American countries warrant, immigrants will continue to come
to the US in search of better lives for our families. Not only is this
movement a reality of the current global economy, but it is also an
important factor in the enrichment of life in the United States. The
construction of a 700-foot "security fence" will only serve to put
immigrants in greater danger as they make their journey to the United
States.

	We encourage you to join us in expressing your sentiments
regarding the actions of both of our senators. Please contact Senator
Durbin's office at (202) 224-2152 or
http://durbin.senate.gov/contact.cfm to thank him for his continued
support of our community. Help us send Senator Obama the message that
pandering and rhetoric are not more important than compassionate,
progressive immigration policy. You can contact Senator Obama's office
by calling 202-224-2854 or by submitting a message online at
http://obama.senate.gov/contact.
	LG

	 Grouped by Home State

	Alabama:         Sessions (R-AL), Yea    Shelby (R-AL), Yea
	Alaska: Murkowski (R-AK), Yea   Stevens (R-AK), Yea
	Arizona:         Kyl (R-AZ), Yea McCain (R-AZ), Yea
	Arkansas:       Lincoln (D-AR), Yea     Pryor (D-AR), Yea
	California:     Boxer (D-CA), Yea       Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
	Colorado:       Allard (R-CO), Yea      Salazar (D-CO), Nay
	Connecticut:    Dodd (D-CT), Yea        Lieberman (D-CT), Nay
	Delaware:       Biden (D-DE), Yea       Carper (D-DE), Yea
	Florida:         Martinez (R-FL), Yea    Nelson (D-FL), Yea
	Georgia:         Chambliss (R-GA), Yea   Isakson (R-GA), Yea
	Hawaii: Akaka (D-HI), Nay       Inouye (D-HI), Nay
	Idaho:  Craig (R-ID), Yea       Crapo (R-ID), Yea
	Illinois:       Durbin (D-IL), Nay      Obama (D-IL), Yea
	Indiana:         Bayh (D-IN), Yea        Lugar (R-IN), Yea
	Iowa:   Grassley (R-IA), Yea    Harkin (D-IA), Yea
	Kansas: Brownback (R-KS), Yea   Roberts (R-KS), Yea
	Kentucky:       Bunning (R-KY), Yea     McConnell (R-KY), Yea
	Louisiana:      Landrieu (D-LA), Yea    Vitter (R-LA), Yea
	Maine:  Collins (R-ME), Yea     Snowe (R-ME), Yea
	Maryland:       Mikulski (D-MD), Yea    Sarbanes (D-MD), Nay
	Massachusetts:  Kennedy (D-MA), Not Voting      Kerry (D-MA),
Nay
	Michigan:       Levin (D-MI), Nay       Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
	Minnesota:      Coleman (R-MN), Yea     Dayton (D-MN), Yea
	Mississippi:    Cochran (R-MS), Yea     Lott (R-MS), Yea
	Missouri:       Bond (R-MO), Yea        Talent (R-MO), Yea
	Montana:         Baucus (D-MT), Yea      Burns (R-MT), Yea
	Nebraska:       Hagel (R-NE), Yea       Nelson (D-NE), Yea
	Nevada: Ensign (R-NV), Yea      Reid (D-NV), Nay
	New Hampshire:  Gregg (R-NH), Yea       Sununu (R-NH), Yea
	New Jersey:     Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay  Menendez (D-NJ), Nay
	New Mexico:     Bingaman (D-NM), Nay    Domenici (R-NM), Yea
	New York:       Clinton (D-NY), Yea     Schumer (D-NY), Yea
	North Carolina: Burr (R-NC), Yea        Dole (R-NC), Yea
	North Dakota:   Conrad (D-ND), Yea      Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
	Ohio:   DeWine (R-OH), Yea      Voinovich (R-OH), Yea
	Oklahoma:       Coburn (R-OK), Yea      Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
	Oregon: Smith (R-OR), Yea       Wyden (D-OR), Yea
	Pennsylvania:   Santorum (R-PA), Yea    Specter (R-PA), Yea
	Rhode Island:   Chafee (R-RI), Nay      Reed (D-RI), Nay
	South Carolina: DeMint (R-SC), Yea      Graham (R-SC), Yea
	South Dakota:   Johnson (D-SD), Yea     Thune (R-SD), Yea
	Tennessee:      Alexander (R-TN), Yea   Frist (R-TN), Yea
	Texas:  Cornyn (R-TX), Yea      Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
	Utah:   Bennett (R-UT), Yea     Hatch (R-UT), Yea
	Vermont:         Jeffords (I-VT), Nay    Leahy (D-VT), Nay
	Virginia:       Allen (R-VA), Yea       Warner (R-VA), Yea
	Washington:     Cantwell (D-WA), Nay    Murray (D-WA), Nay
	West Virginia:  Byrd (D-WV), Yea        Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
	Wisconsin:      Feingold (D-WI), Nay    Kohl (D-WI), Yea
	Wyoming:         Enzi (R-WY), Yea        Thomas (R-WY), Yea

	Giraldo Rosales,
	Assistant Dean of Students,
	Office of the Dean of Students
	300 Turner Student Service Bldg, MC-306
	610 East John Street Champaign , Illinois 61820
	Tele. 217-333-0050
	Voice Mail 217-244-6588
	Fax 217-333-7366
	email grosales at uiuc.edu <mailto:grosales at uiuc.edu>

	You may subscribe to or unsubscribe from this list by going to
the web page above.