[Peace] Revised Oct 8th Minutes

David Harley harleyrd at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 22 15:44:16 CDT 2006

The first order of business was Karl’s summary of the weeks news.  The
Foley is a diversion from the serious facing the nation.  The Dow–Jones
Average reached a new high this week, but this is an illusion when
inflation is factored in.  Carl concluded with a lengthy discussion of how
the situation in Afghanistan is degenerating into a major crises.

Old business: There was a discussion of what to do if the administration
moves to attack Iran.  Such a move was described as madness, but a distinct
possibility given the probable result of the coming election.  It was
decided to give the matter further considereation.

Financial Report: The treasurer’s report was read, $75.00 were recived at
the Farmer’s Market.  We still have 55 impeachment signs.  It was decided
to put up any left over signs at the poling places.  It was also suggested
that members who have signs put these up at poling place on election
day.  It was pointed out that at some sites election signs will not be
permitted.

The Unity March was well attended with an estimated 250 marchers.  There
was also a good show at the News Gazette on what turned out to be a busy
day.  At One Main there seemed to be normal traffic even with the football
game.  About 200 flyers were distributed at the events.

There was discussion of plans for the Karen Yarborough events, which have
now been cancelled.

Randy met with Imani Bazzell with 5 members of AWARE's Anti-Racism Working
Group to explore ways in which the ARWG could contribute to the cause of
fighting racism/discrimination. We discussed many things, but one thing
Imani said that struck me was that as mainly white middle-class folks, we
know best how our parents and grandparents think. We know best how to craft
a message that would reach our siblings or cousins. Another point of
discussion was Imani's work with equity in the schools (and the consent
decree), which leads to Ricky's
announcement below

Ricky Baldwin reported that community activist Imani Bazell will hold a
small teach-in on the subject of Champaign Schools' "consent decree" for
local activists.  Please get in touch with ricky if you are interested.
A meeting is planed to discuss SMART Act - Public hearing is approaching on
October 27th, sponsored by C-U Citizens for Peace and Justice (details in
calendar above). SMART Act state legislation will establish infrastructure
that encourages Illinois counties to put in place programs that integrate
education, treatment and mental health screening instead of felony
convictions and prison for low-level non-violent drug offenders. The SMART
Act is based on the successful "drug school" model being used in Cook
County, where the recidivism for those completing the school is only 11%
vs. the state-wide overall average of 55% (recidivism is the rate -
typically over a 3 year period - at which criminal offenders return to
prison for a new criminal offense).
Jan and Durl met with the Urbana High School administrators.  There was
some apprehension on the part of the administrators.  There seems to be
some question on the meaning of access, but we will be able to supply flyers.

Thanks Randy