[Peace] Political views

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 3 13:10:48 CST 2007

Like Stuart, I was surprised to read "AWARE representatives must be careful
NOT to  express or impose personal political views." We should not have
campaign literature and campaign signs on the table, of course, but this
more general restriction has a couple of problems:

1) It is not possible to talk cogently about current US foreign policy
without discussing the actions and possible motivations of the neocons, or
the spinelessness and complicity of the DNC. This is definitely personal
political speech and opinion. Are we to be silent?

2) There is an "official" AWARE position on very little save the
undesirability of war, nor can there be, since consensus is required (there
is certainly a much broader majority agreement). Once again, are we to be
silent?

Am I missing something here? I wasn't at the Sunday meeting. Has the table
been taken over by pseudo-Marxists, bent on violence aka "the Revolution",
or Libertarians or other anarchists, or the (anti-)Christian right, or some
such thing? A little explanation would be helpful regarding this Draconian
restriction on speech.

Bob