[Peace] News notes 2007-02-04

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 4 15:50:56 CST 2007

[The combination of the frigid cold, residual flu, and, ah, the football
  game, may mean that I won't make it to tonight's meeting, so here are
some news notes. Regards, CGE]

	    For this relief much thanks: 'tis bitter cold,
	    And I am sick at heart.
		--Hamlet 1:1

[1] THE THREAT OF PEACE. The USG's difficulties in protecting the
cornerstone of its foreign policy, control of ME oil, multiplied this
week as its clients and enemies in the region refused to stay put.  Our
awkward puppet in Baghdad announced it had invited Syria and Iran to a
conference there next month.  Meanwhile, "the head of Saudi Arabia's
National Security Council, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, visited Tehran on
Thursday for talks with his Iranian counterpart Ali Larijani. Riyadh has
substantial influence among the region's Sunni community while Iran
exercises leadership within West Asia's Shia fold ... growing clashes in
the region ... have triggered an active dialogue between the two sides.
Iran's Fars news agency quoting Lebanese sources said the two officials
were working on an agreement that would end the Lebanese crisis" [The
Hindu].  The US may have to attack Iran to prevent the growth of
regional cooperation out from under US control.
	Finally, "Afghanistan's lower house of Parliament has approved a
nonbinding resolution urging the government to grant immunity to all
Afghans involved in the wars of the last 25 years, the New York Times
reports. Lawmakers said the resolution was intended to include even the
fugitive Taliban leader, Mullah Muhammad Omar, and the renegade
mujahedeen leader Gulbuddin Hekmatyar." [JFP]
	Alive to the danger that peace might break out in Afghanistan, the US
immediately took steps to keep the war going.. "Gen. Dan McNeill, the
highest ranking U.S. general to lead troops in Afghanistan, took command
of 35,500 NATO-led soldiers on Sunday ... after nine months of British
command ... military officials said privately they expect McNeill to
take a harder line with militants than his predecessor, Gen. David
Richards ... One American military officer ... labeled McNeill a
"warfighter to the bone" ... A senior Afghan military official,
meanwhile, said the Defense Ministry expected McNeill to implement a
policy of "strong military action." Other American officials said they
expected a stronger approach under McNeill without specifying what that
would be.  The appointment of McNeill, one of only 11 four-star generals
in the Army, raises the profile of the American mission here two weeks
after the Defense Department extended the tour of 3,200 10th Mountain
Division soldiers. There are now 26,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, the
highest number ever." [AP]

[2] THE WAR ECONOMY. [To keep the killing going] President George W.
Bush on Monday will seek $245 billion for the wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan while boosting other military spending and curbing domestic
programs [in the] fiscal 2008 budget.  [In addition] Bush will ask
Congress for $100 billion more for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars for the
fiscal year 2007 that ends in September ... The war spending for 2007
will mark the highest annual level since the invasion of Iraq nearly
four years ago. The total for this year of $170 billion includes the
$100 billion request and $70 billion that Congress already appropriated
... the president will seek to boost the Pentagon's regular budget by
10.5 percent to $481 billion ... Bush is also proposing to squeeze tens
of billions in savings from popular programs like the Medicare health
program for the elderly, according to the official [Reuters]

[3] THE WAR AT HOME. Americans spent more than they earned last year ...
pushing the personal savings rate to negative 1.0 percent, the deepest
hole since the Great Depression of the 1930s. The figure, published last
week by the US Commerce Department, means that not only did Americans
spend all their income, they dug into savings and used credit to buy
more. Over the past seven decades, the personal savings rate -- the
difference between post-tax, or disposable, income and spending -- has
been in negative territory only four times: 1932-1933, and 2005-2006. [AFP]

[4] WHAT CAN BE DONE. "The [American] people don't like the war but this
doesn't mean it won't go on so long as there's money to fund it.  [The
Democrats propose only] powder-puff nonbinding resolutions. On January
26, even as Biden and the others were grandstanding about their
rhetorical stance against the war, the Senate confirmed, 81 to 0, the
nomination of General Petraeus-prime military booster of troop
escalation-to command US troops in Iraq. Democrats voted for him, same
as they voted to confirm Abizaid's successor, Admiral Fallon, same as
they voted unanimously for Rumsfeld's successor, Robert Gates.
	"There are various bills put forward by Senators like Ted Kennedy and
Representatives like Jerry Nadler calling for timetables, ceilings on
spending and the like. The question here is what actual effect they
could they have ... In September 2006 Congress passed the FY 2007
Defense Appropriations Act, containing $70 billion for war, which Bush
has been spending on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. That money will
last at least until March, and after that, Defense can always shift
money around in its existing budget till a new supplemental is passed.
So for now Bush has money he needs to surge. But it's untrue that
there's nothing effective Congress can do.
	"[Tomorrow] February 5 in considering the supplemental appropriation
requested by the White House, Congress could decree no money for the
surge and impose a ceiling on the number of US military in Iraq. The
President could rotate the troops but not increase their number. To give
this teeth, Congress could simultaneously decree that no money for
surging could be used from previously appropriated funds. This is
something the Defense Department can do, unless there is an express
prohibition.
	"So a surge no-no in the supplemental appropriation is a legislative
possibility. In the House, the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee is
chaired by Jack Murtha, who wants to bring the troops home now. Murtha
could put a ceiling on troop levels and other prohibitions in the bill,
but then he'd have to get it through the full committee and onto the
floor. A lot would depend on Nancy Pelosi, who could dispose of
procedural tripwires. Then Murtha's bill would land in the Senate
Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense, chaired by Daniel Inouye, where
it would be vulnerable to fiercer procedural attacks ... And of course
the supplemental, altered by Congress, would have to survive a Bush veto.
	"It's easy for Bush to veto a one-page bill decreeing no money for any
troops above, say, 140,000. [But tomorrow]  Congress also begins to
consider the [more than] half-trillion-dollar FY 2008 Defense
Appropriations bill. If Congress installs curbs on the war in Iraq
there, Bush can only veto the entire bill." [CP]

[5] CANDIDATES SCRAMBLE. In a bid to become what the press is already
calling him, "the major anti-war candidate," Sen. Barack Obama has filed
"The Iraq War De-escalation Act of 2007." The WP notes the bill's huge
loopholes.  It points out that Obama's bill "would leave a limited
number of troops in place [As if we have an unlimited number there now?]
to conduct counterterrorism activities [What are they doing now?] and
train Iraqi forces [That's Petraeus' mantra, isn't it?]. And the
withdrawal could be temporarily suspended [Ah, "temporarily"...] if the
Iraqi government meets a series of benchmarks laid out by the Bush
administration [That's the current policy!]."
	I frankly think that, with very few exceptions, all mainline US
politicians know that the US has to continue to control Iraqi oil ("We
cannot leave Iraq" --H. Kissinger), and that means some continuous
American presence in Iraq.  What they're doing now is trying to find
what modality of that presence can be sold to an increasingly anti-war
public.  Obama -- who we know has had no moral objection to the war but
only a prudential one ("It's stupid") -- has just got his snake-oil to
the market first.

[6] SARTOR RESARTUS. At the trial of VP Cheney's aide Scooter Libby, the
WP reports that "Testimony Points Out Cheney's Role in Trying to Dampen
Joseph Wilson's Criticism."

[7] A HOPEFUL SIGN (PERHAPS). Buried in  today's Washington Post piece
about President Bush's appearance before the Dems' annual retreat, we
find this:  "Pelosi told her colleagues that if it appears likely that
Bush wants to take the country to war against Iran, the House would take
up a bill to deny him the authority to do so, according to Pelosi
spokesman Brendan Daly."

[8] AN UNHOPEFUL SIGN.  The AP reports, rather laconically, "Life
harsher in new Guantanamo unit."

[9] AN IRONIC SIGN. Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-TX)
regrets voting for the Iraq War resolution in 2002:  "The resolution was
a resolution that authorized the president to take that action if he
deemed it necessary. Had I been more true to myself and the principles I
believed in at the time, I would have openly opposed the whole adventure
vocally and aggressively. I had a tough time reconciling doing that
against the duties of majority leader in the House. I would have served
myself and my party and my country better, though, had I done so."  (I
think that's farther than Sen. Clinton has been willing to go.) [TPM]

	###