[Peace] (no subject)

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 17 11:17:01 CST 2007

[My responses to Germaine Light's post. -karen medina]

Germaine Light> Public schools can do everything charter schools do and even better!

Not for the target population.

>It is a known fact that charter schools on average are currently producing lower ACT scores than public schools, and that they are generally NOT as successful as public schools!

You are right, for the average student, public schools work. But for the poor and those children that get behind at an early stage, conventional public schools are not their job.

>The Springfield Edison schools are an example of this.

For every example of bad performance, there are examples of good performance. ACT scores are not the only measure to look at.

> Also, the more we take children and funds (taxes, for example) away from public schools and give these resources to charter schools,

I agree, it would be best if charter schools were not needed. But that would mean that the Champaign Schools have to change so drastically and they have proven that they cannot even keep pace with their commitments to the consent decree.

>the more the public school system will suffer.

The students have been suffering. I ask that you watch the middle school African American boys in particular.

> If you think your public schools need improving, then get active, go to school board meetings,

Good idea. I was there. Were you?

> and elect school board members that will do this.

i.e. Melodie

>Don't take away resources from your public school system.

The resources need to go to the poor neighborhoods. Put a school in the North Side. Bus the kids from the better neighborhoods.

>The public school system is one of the most democratic institutions that this country has.

Lawyers and all.

> A charter school system is not run by a democratic system,

Charter schools are public schools. The board does have oversight.

> and by law is exempt from labor laws that provide employees in public schools the right to organize into a union.

That could be partially true. Charter Schools may not be forced to allow employees to unionize, but surely the schools can allow their employees to.

>will not attract the best quality teachers and staff.

The best quality teachers are frustrated with achievement being measured by a single score (as in No Child Left Behind). Charter Schools allow the teachers to use new techniques. Most Charter Schools have very highly motivated teachers.

> We need our public school system.  I've been in the business of improving it for over 20 years.  Educators, including teachers & staff, administrators, school board members, and parents, have been working on improving education in public schools for decades & decades.

But the Champaign schools can't even get past the demonstrated inconsistencies that have been pointed out in the consent decree.

> It HAS improved. Of course this improvement can continue.  Do not throw away what we have built up.

We want it to continue. But we also need to help the kids who really need it right now. We cannot afford to loose another generation of kids.

> Just help us make it better!

Then ask the board to talk to the people. They don't even listen to their lawyers very well.

When the public comes to their meetings, there should be a real conversation back and forth. When the public has to speak first, with no input from the Board, then they must resort to shotgun shotgun presentation--all the possible concerns of the Board have to be imagined and addressed. It would be much more efficient use of time and energy if real conversations were going on.

-karen medina