[Peace] RE: [CUCPJ Announce] Charter schools

Germaine Light glight at ms.k12.il.us
Tue Jan 16 13:51:08 CST 2007

Brian & all,
	Public schools can do everything charter schools do and even
better!
It is a known fact that charter schools on average are currently
producing lower ACT scores than public schools, and that they are
generally NOT as successful as public schools!  The Springfield Edison
schools are an example of this.
	Also, the more we take children and funds (taxes, for example)
away from public schools and give these resources to charter schools,
the more the public school system will suffer.
	If you think your public schools need improving, then get
active, go to school board meetings, and elect school board members that
will do this.
Don't take away resources from your public school system. The public
school system is one of the most democratic institutions that this
country has.
	A charter school system is not run by a democratic system, and
by law is exempt from labor laws that provide employees in public
schools the right to organize into a union.  In short, without union
support & subsequent benefits for employees, charter schools as a rule
will not attract the best quality teachers and staff.  The children will
suffer.
	We need our public school system.  I've been in the business of
improving it for over 20 years.  Educators, including teachers & staff,
administrators, school board members, and parents, have been working on
improving education in public schools for decades & decades.  It HAS
improved.  Of course this improvement can continue.  Do not throw away
what we have built up.  Just help us make it better!
For the children's sake and for our future!!!!!!

Germaine Light
Public School Teacher
Biology Dept.
Mahomet-Seymour High School