[Peace] News notes 2007-07-29

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 29 21:08:12 CDT 2007

SUNDAY 29 JULY 2007
(On this day seventeen years ago, US Ambassador Glaspie implies to
Saddam Hussein that the US would have no objection to his "rectifying
the borders" with Kuwait.  His actions give the US a chance to expand
its control of the Middle East.)

The events of the past week seem to indicate how the American wars in
the Middle East will continue, and more than likely expand, regardless
of the political views of most Americans, which are substantially to the
left of those of the established parties, and regardless of the highly
artificial politics of the United States, which exist primarily to
remediate and channel those views.

1. WARS

*The Bush administration insists that it will make war in accord with
the views of "the military and not politicians in Washington," and this
week we had some more information on what those military views are.
Michael Gordon, stenographer to the Pentagon and reporter for the NYT,
writes that the American command in Iraq "has prepared a detailed plan
that foresees a significant American role for the next two years ... The
detailed document, known as the Joint Campaign Plan, is an elaboration
of the new strategy President Bush signaled in January when he decided
to send five additional American combat brigades and other units to
Iraq. That signaled a shift from the previous strategy, which emphasized
transferring to Iraqis the responsibility for safeguarding their
security." Gordon parrots the Bush administration line, writing of
"Iranian and Syrian neighbors who have not hesitated to interfere in
Iraq’s affairs." He describes the current strategy as follows: "The
previous plan, developed by Gen. George W. Casey Jr., who served as
General Petraeus’ predecessor before being appointed as chief of staff
of the Army, was aimed at prompting the Iraqis to take more
responsibility for security by reducing American forces, [but] Iraqi
security forces showed themselves unprepared to carry out their expanded
duties, and sectarian killings soared.  In contrast, the new approach
reflects the counterinsurgency precept that protection of the population
is best way to isolate insurgents, encourage political accommodations
and gain intelligence ... the United States can use force to create the
conditions in which political reconciliation is possible."
	Gordon writes that "General Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker assembled a
Joint Strategic Assessment Team, which ... included officers like Col.
H. R. McMaster, the field commander who carried out the successful
'clear, hold and build' operation in Tal Afar and who wrote a critical
account of the Joint Chiefs of Staff role during the Vietnam War..."
But McMaster has just been passed over for promotion for a second time,
suggesting that the deep divisions within the Pentagon continue.

*In spite of its sweeping assertions that America's enemy in the "global
war on terrorism" is radical Islam, the Bush administration let it be
known this week that it is planning a huge series of arms deals worth at
least $20 billion to Saudi Arabia and five other oil-rich Muslim states.
  The US clients in addition to SA are Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and
the United Arab Emirates.  But to illustrate the shape of US policy,
America's chief client, Israel, will receive even more -- $30 billion in
additional military aid, while Egypt will receive $13 billion. The Bush
administration, which needs the continuing threat of war in the ME to
establish its control, continues outsourcing the job, to the delight of
"defense contractors.'

*British troops are withdrawing from Basra to a nearby airbase, which
the NYT and WP think is a prelude to withdrawal from Iraq. New UK PM
Gordon Brown arrives today for talks with Bush, and the papers think he
will  wait till September to announce a larger pullout.

2. AMERICANS' VIEWS

*A CBS/NYT poll taken on July 20-22 showed that only 25 percent of
Americans now approve of the president's handling of Iraq while 69
percent disapproved of it; "two-thirds of those polled said the United
States should reduce its forces in Iraq, or remove them altogether."

*But Bush administration propaganda showed some success: the same poll
indicated that "Americans’ support for the initial invasion of Iraq has
risen ... 42 percent of Americans said that ... taking military action
in Iraq was the right thing to do, while 51 percent said the United
States should have stayed out of Iraq ... Support for the invasion had
been at an all-time low in May, when only 35 percent of Americans said
the invasion of Iraq was the right thing and 61 percent said the United
States should have stayed out."

3. US POLITICS

*The presidential campaign, brought hugely forward in time to defuse and
contain American's dismay with the war -- which is by far the leading
issue, in spite of all the politicians can do -- showed evidence this
week of having difficulty with the job.  The Los Angeles Times says
today that among the presidential candidates, the Democrats now want to
talk about getting out of Iraq, but not about Al Qaeda or terrorism,
while the Republicans want to talk about terrorism, but not Iraq -- the
threat of radical Islam vs. ending the war.  A new think tank, the
Center for New American Security -- Clinton's State Department in
waiting -- naturally wants to "bridge the gap."  Meanwhile, Paul Street
writes a mordant piece on Obama as a "Running Dog Lackey of U.S.
Imperialism."

*The Republicans are chewing the scenery. "Some people have said we
ought to close Guantanamo; my view is that we ought to double
Guantanamo," former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney said at a debate in
May. "I want them in Guantanamo where they don't get the access to
lawyers they get when they're on our soil." The Bush administration has
said it wants to close the military prison. Arizona Sen. John McCain,
who has long advocated increasing U.S. troop strength in Iraq, has said,
"I would rather lose a campaign than lose a war," he often says. And mad
Rudy Giuliani says, "I'm for victory," dismissing Democrats as "the
party of losers."

*The Democrats have have tried to introduce some product
differentiation, as they say in B-school, with Clinton, who emphasizes
military strength, closest to the center of the foreign policy elite
(not the popular center); former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, who
has said "The war on terror is … a bumper sticker, not a plan," on the
left; and Obama trying to practice his charming equivocation.  Clinton
talks about terrorism as a priority, and she was the last of the three
anointed Democratic candidates to say she was against the war in Iraq.
Edwards has called for an immediate withdrawal of at least 40,000 troops
from Iraq, and a complete withdrawal within a year, and he has said it
is time to abandon the idea of a "war on terror." In a May speech, he
said, "The worst thing about the global-war-on-terror approach is that
it has backfired — our military has been strained to the breaking point
and the threat from terrorism has grown" [incidentally denying the LAT
thesis]. He continued: "By framing this as a 'war,' we have walked right
into the trap that terrorists have set — that we are engaged in some
kind of clash of civilizations and a war against Islam."

*The LAT quotes the usual political experts as saying, "Whichever
Democrat wins the nomination is going to have to move a little bit
toward the center in the general-election campaign." Note that the
papers working definition of the "center" refers to the narrow US
political elite, not to the center of US popular opinion, which is far
to the left of that. Under that definition, Clinton will have "the least
distance to move," the LAT's expert said.  And American liberals think
there's no place else to go. The Times/Bloomberg poll found Clinton
leading among liberals with 51%, compared with 27% for Obama and 18% for
Edwards.
	And Clinton's think tankers are confident that real public opinion can
be neutralized.  In an amazing phrase, one said, "Once we get past the
election and reach the governing phase, I believe there will be
substantial consensus around many issues including our alliances, the
need for a strong military, and importance of backing up diplomacy with
military force." For example, he noted, most of the candidates,
Democrats as well as Republicans, have called for increasing the Army
and Marines by 92,000 or more people.  What we see now is what the
Democrats are willing to say in order to "reach the governing phase."

*Finally, while the US media continue to treat only official candidates
as serious -- i.e., those that support some continuation of the war --
and make fun of peace candidates like Kucinich and Gravel, the Guardian
(UK) profiles Republican peace candidate Ron Paul, although they had to
get an American Libertarian to do it.

	--Carl Estabrook <www.newsfromneptune.com>