[Peace] Some events this Tue & Wed: Water privatization, "Intro to Criminal Justice", intro to Illinois universal health care

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 11 14:53:11 CDT 2007

Noting some events this week which which may interest some of us:

Tue 3/13  5:30-6:30 PM   room "106B8", Engineering Hall, UIUC campus
		1308 W Green St (across Green from Illini Union)

       "Who Controls Our Water?  A Global Issue Hits Home"
       Victoria Kaplan of Food and Water Watch
       (this event, held by "Engineers without Borders",
	is similar to the one held Wednesday 3/14 (see below),
	but if you can't attend on Wed., you might try this one.)

Tue 3/13  7PM  Urbana Civic Center,  108 E. Water, Urbana
	  "Introduction to the Champaign County Criminal Justice System"
	  Sponsored by Champaign County Bar Ass'n and IL State Bar Ass'n.

	Citizens should understand how the criminal justice system works.
	Please join us for a free educational evening on how the criminal
	justice system works in our community. Office holders will make
	presentations about how their offices are structured, their job duties,
	how cases are processed, challenges to their offices and what citizens
	can do to improve the system. There will be a question and answer
	period following the presentations.   Speakers include
	    Associate Judge Richard Klaus;  Sheriff Dan Walsh;
	    State's Attorney Julia Rietz;   Public Defender Randy Rosenbaum;
	    Director of Court Services Joe Gordon.

	The C-U Citizens for Peace and Justice group is naturally
	very interested in this event.

Wed 3/14  7-9 PM  Democratic HQ in Champaign, 104 E. Washington St.

       Jim Duffett of the Campaign for Better Health Care will talk
       about the proposed "Illinois Covered" universal health care plan
       (see links on  http://champaigncountydemocrats.org/  )

Wed 3/14  7-8 PM   Urbana City Council Chambers,  400 S. Vine, U.
          "Who Controls Our Water?  A Global Issue Hits Home"
          Victoria Kaplan, national organizer for the "Water for All Campaign"
          of Food and Water Watch (  http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/  )

	Privatization of public water resources has sparked controversy around
	the world, from Jakarta, Indonesia to right here in Urbana-Champaign,
	with RWE and American Water often taking center stage. Victoria Kaplan
	from Food & Water Watch, the national consumer advocacy organization,
	will explore how Champaign County sits at the center of a global
	debate, what RWE's upcoming sale of American Water could mean for
	consumers, and how other communities around the country are
	approaching the issue.

	(This event is at Mayor Prussing's invitation, and a number of
	public officials will attend.  I expect it will also be televised
	on UPTV channel 6.)