[Peace] Re: [Peace-discuss] Anti-War Billboard! U-C Friends Meeting seeks support

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 28 10:58:32 CDT 2008

I continue to think this an unfortunate campaign.  Putting aside the real
question of the effect of the war on the American economy, it is at best a
matter of preaching to the converted: you find this argument effective if and
only if you already find something wrong with the war.

Consider what the reaction would be to such a campaign in the US during the
Second World War.  If you said the fight against Naziism was costing too much,
you would be condemned as someone putting a price on freedom.

We have to be imaginative enough to realize that defenders of the current war
hold a similar opinion.  If we can't convince them that they're wrong about the
character of the war, we won't convince them with niggling complaints about the
cost. --CGE