[Peace] Re: [Peace-discuss] Anti-War Billboard! U-C Friends Meeting seeks support

Susan Parenti sparenti at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 28 11:17:55 CDT 2008

I don't agree, Carl. It's not a matter of critiquing the war, but of
establishing a new connection between old news and new news: old
news, the war in Iraq (terrorism is really old news; if you hear the
sniggling in the airports from everyone when the loudspeaker
announces, one more time, 'orange alert', you'd hear how that hand
has been played out);  and new news, the recession.

The bill board makes the connection visual--this old war is not only
old, it's currently costly--and the cost of things is the feeling at
the moment, not the ideological fear of things. Everyone knows the
feeling of spending too much when not enough is coming in; the first
thing you do is cutback on what's not necessary. At the moment, I
don't hear anyone being listened to with much interest, who is
arguing for the necessity of the war on Iraq, potentially on Iran.
The news about food shortages, about the housing slump, wall street
slump, rising gas costs, is making people feel poor. I feel it myself
these days,as I decide between the best mustard and the generic
mustard. Generic, wins.
mustardly,
susan