[Peace] it's Tuesday, do you know what your township is doing?

Karen Medina kmedina at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 5 11:03:29 CDT 2008

It's Tuesday, do you know what your township is doing?

Today, Tuesday, August 5th, is a Champaign Township meeting. This is a short monthly meeting before the city council meeting.

I invite Champaign residents to attend. Just as a reminder that citizens do care what our township trustees do.

As many of you are aware, most of the Champaign trustees / city council members are against the tax increase to help the poorest of the poor with the General Assistance funds. The tax increase would be very small and it would make a huge difference for all those who do not qualify for other help or are hanging by a thread while they wait to be processed for federal assistance. The township trustees think that citizens do not want a property tax increase no matter what the reason.

I'm appealing for folks to come out and attend this meeting, just to let the township know that we are paying attention to what they do. The Township meeting is nearly always very short. It precedes the Champaign City Council meeting, starting at 7:00 sharp (in the same place, the City Council Chambers at the City Building, 102 N. Neil St.).

-karen medina