[Peace] News from Neptune-TV, Friday @ 7pm

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 14 14:27:20 CDT 2008

News from Neptune began eighteen years ago as an hour-long discussion on
Saturday mornings on a community radio station in Champaign.  That spawned a
newspaper column (in a late Champaign-Urbana weekly and the online magazine
<counterpunch.org>) and a website -- <www.newsfromneptune.com> (soon to be a
blog).

Now inshallah there's to be a television edition, through Urbana Public
Television, which will appear Fridays at 7:00pm on cable channel six -- and soon
online, through the website.

The subject throughout has been the news of the week (generously interpreted)
and its coverage by the media.  The name comes from Noam Chomsky -- he's been
writing sensible things about U.S. politics for more than forty years -- who
said, "Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or
else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune."

"News from Neptune, TV Edition" will try to say some true things for the first
time this Friday, August 15, at 7pm on cable channel 6.  Bob Naiman of Just
Foreign Policy will join me as co-presenter on this premiere show.  Others will
take part in weeks to come.

Please join us for the debut tomorrow.  You can send me comments at
<carl at newsfromneptune.com>, and I'd appreciate your sending this note to whoever
  you think may be interested.

Regards, Carl Estabrook