[Peace] Wednesday, December 3 surveillance talk / Thursday Jihad talk

Marilyn Booth mbooth at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 2 12:07:27 CST 2008

Here are the details for the Thursday talk:

2008 Fall Lecture in the Department of Religion

 > Sohail Hashmi
 >
 > Associate Professor of International Relations at Mount Holyoke College
 >
 > "When the Far Enemy Became the Near Enemy: The Changing Place of the
 > United States in Jihad Discourse"
 >
 > December 4, 2008 at 7:30pm
 >
 > Levis Faculty Center, 3rd floor (919 W. Illinois St., Urbana)

best
Marilyn

Karen Medina wrote:
> 2 events this week:
>
> Wednesday, December 3,
> Is Big Brother Watching? Does it Even Matter?
> Is it true that only those with something to hide need to worry about increased
> surveillance, or is it an issue that effects everyone? What rights do citizens have
> when it comes to issues of privacy or surveillance? Activist Peter Rhomberg
> discusses surveillance, privacy, and systems of control and power in a post-
> Patriot Act, post-FISA world.
> Room 163 Noyes (505 South Mathews Avenue, Urbana)
> Wednesday, December 3, 2008
> 7pm
> See link to flier below.
>
> Also, there is a talk on Thursday about Jihad. I'm looking for more info on this.
>
> -karen medina

*********************************
Marilyn Booth, D.Phil.

Director
Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
University of Illinois

221 International Studies Building
910 South Fifth Street
Champaign, IL 61820

	217-244-7331
	217 265-6399 fax
	psames at uiuc.edu
	http://www.psames.uiuc.edu

Associate Professor
Program in Comparative and World Literature
3080 Foreign Languages Building
707 South Mathews Avenue
Urbana IL  61801

	217-333-0023