[Peace] UNIVERSITY WIND TURBINE IN PERIL - TAKE ACTION NOW

Walter Pituc wpituc2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 09:40:51 CST 2008

Please take the time to tell the University that we want the wind turbine
and we want sustainability not posturing!

-Walter

The Wind Turbine Project is closing in on death as I write this to you.  I
have recently learned that despite assurances made otherwise, the University
of Illinois administration has privately decided to cancel the Wind Turbine.

Where we stand today:  After 5 years, we are closer than ever to making this
monumental step toward sustainability.  The contract for the windmill awaits
signatures from the University administration.  But certain university
administrators are killing sustainability projects at a time when they are
imperative.

What we have to do: SECS needs to take immediate action to prevent
Chancellor Herman from crushing sustainability on this campus.  We need YOU
to call the listed administrators and ask them what is going on with the
wind turbine.  We have written a script for those who are not sure what to
say.

The people to call are:

Chancellor Richard Herman
217-333-6290

Linda Katehi
217-333-6290

Jack Dempsey (Make sure to be nice in calling Jack Dempsey, he has been a
big proponent of sustainability on this campus)
217-333-2500

It does not matter when you call, just make the call.  If we call at night,
they will have a full voice mailbox in the morning.  If you are really cool,
call twice!

The Script:

I have heard disconcerting reports that the University will be canceling its
purchase of the wind turbine, which was initiated by our students.  We know
that the contract for this purchase has been signed by GE and is awaiting
action.  Can you assure me that the University will sign this contract and
bring clean energy to the U of I?

Some Facts About the Turbines:
1)  This project began in 2003! That's 5 whole years!!
2)  The U of I will sacrifice $2 million from the ICECF (Illinois Clean
Energy Community Foundation).  For those economists out there, that means
that the opportunity cost is $2 million, which is almost the amount of money
needed from the University on this project.
3)  Over $250,000 has already been spent in legal and administration fees
for this project.
4)  Student money has been designated for this project for the past 5 years.

Its time to let the University know that we aren't kidding about
sustainability.  Make the call!