[Peace] upcoming events, 1st week of July 2008

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 2 14:26:30 CDT 2008

UPCOMING EVENTS!
1st week of July, 2008 peace related events

Float Construction Parties
2 work parties!
* Wednesday, July 2, 2008
6:30pm, wall paper paste, 8 panels,
* Thursday, July 3, 2008
 6:30 pm, mount the panels on the wagon, decorate the float;
Where:
Wayne's lab
709 S. Poplar in Urbana
Just come to the back door of the yellow building and knock
contact jandurl at comcast.net

Friday, July 4, 2008
AWARE's entry in the parade
AWARE is entry number 60, behind clowns and before fire trucks.
Theme of the entire parade is "Honoring Our Military Heroes"
AWARE's float theme is "Honoring Our Military Heroes Who Speak Against War"
Parade starts at 1:05 PM
AWARE needs to be lined up by 12:45 PM at the corner of Oregon and Busey.
If you can park your car at the end of the route, contact jandurl at comcast.net

Friday, July 4, 2008
Brenda mentioned the 5k race for the 4th of July.
Assembly Hall
9:30am registration, $20, east side on Fourth Street.
see http://www.news-gazette.com/news/parks_recreation/2008/06/29/plenty_of_ways_to_celebrate_fourth_of_july

Saturday July 5, 2008
Main Event (peace demonstration)
2-4 PM
The corner of Main & Neil Streets in Champaign
Flier?
Gary suggested Cost of War
Carl suggested our 4th of July stuff; he will talk to Randall.
Roger will put out an announcement for the demonstration.
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
AWARE on the Air
Taping at 1pm at the Urbana City Council Chambers
Showing at 10pm on UPTV

Monday, July 14, 2008
Mennonite event -- speaker
"Sustainability -- A Choice to Consider: Living on Earth as If We Want to Stay"
Presentation by: Mike Nickerson and Donna Dillman from Lanark, Ontario.
Together they administer "The Sustainability Project" -- an educational, non-profit organization that promotes green values. They are traveling across Canada and into the US. Mike is the author of the new book: "Life, Money & Illusion: Living on Earth as if we want to stay"
7:00 PM
First Mennonite Church
902 West Springfield Avenue Urbana, Illinois

Tuesday, July 15, 2008
AWARE on the Air
Taping at 1pm at the Urbana City Council Chambers
Showing at 10pm on UPTV

Friday, July 18
Saturday, July 19
Howard Zinn's play: "Marx in Soho: A Play on History" 2 showings!
* First showing: Friday July 18, 2008 7:30 pm
Where: Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway Ave.;
* Second showing: Saturday July 19, 2008 7:30 pm
Where: Channing-Murray Foundation, 1209 W. Oregon St.., Urbana
For more information: Call 367-7329

July 19, 2008
2-4pm
Additional peace demonstration
More information to follow, but right now the plan is for Springfield Avenue near Mattis in Champaign.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008
AWARE on the Air

Tuesday, July 29, 2008
AWARE on the Air
Taping at 1pm at the Urbana City Council Chambers
Showing at 10pm on UPTV

Friday August 2, 2008
Saturday August 3
Sweet Corn Festival
AWARE is considering having a table. This year it costs $75 for the 2 days, and we are not allowed to do just one day. Last year it cost only $50.

Friday September 12, 2008
author Luis Urrea will visit Champaign-Urbana
Book: "The Devil's Highway"
Coordinators for the event: New Sanctuary Movement (Mike Mulberry's group)