[Peace] today

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 13:26:05 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Karen Medina <kmedina at uiuc.edu> wrote:

Pamela wrote:

> they were applauded all along the route and a number
> >of people stood.
>
> I was overwhelmed by the reception on Lincoln Avenue. At first I thought
> the
> people could not possibly be clapping for us and I kept looking around to
> see what
> could be attracting so much respect. After the initial disbelief, tears
> came to my
> eyes and I had to fight them back.
>
> -karen medina

Back in 2001, I think it was, I marched with the Prairie Greens.  We had the
Radical Cheerleaders marching with us, and lots of signs which were made,
interestingly enough, in Laurel Prussing's home office.  We got a fabulous
reception in Urbana, on the east side of Lincoln Avenue.  But just as soon
as we turned right from Lincoln onto Florida and entered the "Champaign
domain", our reception got decidedly chilly.  Lots of glares and very little
applause.  It was really quite remarkable, like driving from bright sunlight
into a driving rain.

John Wason