[Peace] Mon 6/23 7pm Champaign Library: news from the media reform conference!

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 18 17:40:32 CDT 2008

We have people, a time and a place, so let's hold an event:

   Impressions from the National Conference on Media Reform
   Monday, June 23rd, 7:00-8:45pm

   Champaign Public Library, 200 W. Green St., Champaign
   Pavilion Room "B"

   At least Andrew O'Baoill, Danielle Chynoweth and I,
   and hopefully also others from C-U who attended, will speak
   on what we heard/saw/met/learned at NCMR 2008 in Minneapolis June 6-8:

     http://www.freepress.net/conference/

   Please come, ask questions, be a live audience!
   All are welcome.  The room holds about 50.

   There were some exciting talks at this conference.  Some highlights for me:

     Naomi Klein's talk during the Saturday evening keynote, with advice on how
       we as activists should deal with people in power such as a potential
       Pres. Obama.  As FDR depended on pressure from activists to sell the
       New Deal reforms to people in power, since without them the US might
       well have had a revolution, so the greatest gift we could give Obama
       would be to be that kind of threat -- "you can't ignore those people,
       they're crazy!"

     Some cool initiatives from people who came to the IL regional gathering.

     Showing and discussion of Tim Wise's film, On White Privilege,
	on the pervasiveness and insidiousness of privilege.
	Privileged people don't need to care (or think they don't)
	how others see them.    "We will be greeted as liberators"
	is the voice of privilege speaking.

   and lots more.

   We aim to videotape this for future UPTV broadcast too.
   We may have a cameraperson (Ann Hettinger, who was also at NCMR),
   but if anyone else is available to check out and run the video camera --
   especially if you're already a UPTV member -- please let us know,
   as your help would be appreciated.

  - Stuart