[Peace] reminder: celebration of Grandpa Sunday 2-4PM (plus my letter to him)

Kimberlie Kranich kakranich at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 21:54:08 CDT 2008

Very moving letter, Randall.  Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

I wanted to let you and others know that Harriet Williamson interviewed Grandpa last October about his WWII experiences.  He enlisted in the Navy and was involved in combat missions.  In his interview he says:  "The military teaches you how to kill when you go in but they don't teach you how not to kill when you get out."

Grandpa's commitment to Civil Rights was formed in WWII when he discovered that a small group of black seamen were segregated on his ship.  Their sole duty was to serve the officers.

The interview with Grandpa is 1 hour and 10 minutes long. He starts to talk about combat and then his interaction with Black sailors around 38 minutes into the interview.

The entire interview may be viewed at the link below (scroll down the page until you see his photo):

http://will.illinois.edu/WWII/stories/C236/

Peace,
Kim