[Peace] Fwd: [CEDP] National Day of Action to SAVE TROY DAVIS: Monday, Sept. 29!

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 13:15:18 CDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <julien at nodeathpenalty.org>
Date: Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:02 PM
Subject: [CEDP] National Day of Action to SAVE TROY DAVIS: Monday, Sept. 29!
To: CEDP_National_Office at yahoogroups.com, chicago_cedp at yahoogroups.com,
hydeparkcedp at yahoogroups.com, cedp at listhost.uchicago.edu

  NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION TO STOP THE EXECUTION OF TROY DAVIS
Monday, September 29
Make calls, send faxes and organize demonstrations!

In this email, you will find:
*A Call to Action
*Suggestions for Actions in Your Community
*Contact info for Georgia Public Officials
*Actions Taking Place Already around the Country

CALL TO ACTION
Thanks to you, Troy's family, and the tens of thousands of people around the
country who have taken time out of
their lives to write a letter, sign a petition, or attend a demonstration,
Troy Davis lives today. When the U.S. Supreme
Court stayed his execution on Sept. 23 until they could decide on whether to
look at the case, it was a recognition
that people's eyes were on this case from around the country and around the
world. But now, Troy could face
another execution date very soon, and we need you to spring into action
again.

On September 29, the Supreme Court will be meeting to decide whether to hear
Troy's case. No gun, no DNA, no
fingerprints, and no physical evidence of any kind were used to convict him.
7 of the 9 witnesses in his case have
recanted their trial testimony, and several have said they were pressured by
police. In effect, what the Supreme Court
justices will be deciding is whether it's OK to allow the execution of an
innocent man if his appeals have expired. We
think this is a no-brainer. If they look at the facts and make the right
call, Troy lives. If they decline to hear the case,
Troy could be executed that night, or the day after, or in the weeks to
come, if Georgia sets a new execution date.

But the Supreme Court Justices aren't the only ones with a decision to make.
Thurbert Baker, the Attorney General of
Georgia, and Spencer Lawton, District Attorney of Chatham County, both have
the power to rescind Troy Davis's
execution warrant, and Baker can reopen an investigation into the case. The
members of the Georgia Board of
Pardons and Paroles could re-consider their shameful decision to deny Troy
clemency but have refused to do so. All of
these public officials need to be held accountable!

The attention on Troy's case is the reason he lives today. On Monday,
September 29, the Campaign to End the Death
Penalty is calling for a coordinated day of demonstrations, petitioning,
phone and fax campaigns to draw attention to
the injustices of his case and to call for his clemency. Below are some
examples of what you can do. Please send any
info about upcoming actions to
julien at nodeathpenalty.org<julien%40nodeathpenalty.org>
.

Justice for Troy Davis!
Suggestions for actions you can take in YOUR community:

*Call and fax the Georgia Attorney General's office and the Chatham County
District Attorney's office and demand that
they rescind Troy Davis's execution warrant. Call on the Georgia Attorney
General to reopen an investigation into the
case. Call, fax and email the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles to demand
that they re-consider clemency for
Troy.

*Organize a literature table on your campus or in your community. Talk to
people about Troy's case, collect petition
signatures and pass out fact sheets about his case. If you're in a place
with a WiFi connection, you can ask people to
send an automated email message to the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles
via Amnesty International's action
center at:

http://www.amnestyusa.org/death-penalty/troy-davis-finality-over-fairness/page.do?
id=1011343&n1=3&n2=28&n3=1412

*Organize a meeting, rally, protest, press conference or speak-out on your
campus or in your community.

*Organize a letter-writing event and fax the letters to the board.

*Write letters and Op-eds to publish in your local newspaper. The ACLU has
an automated system at http://
letters.aclu.org/letter/?letter_KEY=1039

*Call in to radio shows and talk about Troy's case.

Please contact julien at nodeathpenalty.org <julien%40nodeathpenalty.org><mailto:
julien%40nodeathpenalty.org <julien%2540nodeathpenalty.org>> to let us know
about an action in
your community. We will publicize it on this list.
.__________________________________________________________
CONTACT INFO FOR GEORGIA PUBLIC OFFICIALS:

Thurbert E. Baker
Office of the Attorney General
40 Capitol Square, SW
Atlanta, Ga 30334
Phone:(404) 656-3300
Fax:(404) 657-8733

Spencer Lawton, Chatham County District Attorney
Chief Assistant District Attorney David Locke
133 Montgomery Street
Savannah, Georgia 31401
Phone:  (912) 652-7308
Fax:  (912) 652-7328

Chairman Gale Buckner
State Board of Pardons and Paroles
2 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, SE
Suite 458, Balcony Level, East Tower
Atlanta, Georgia 30334-4909

Telephone:  (404) 657-9350
Fax: 404-651-6670 and (404)651-8502
Email: Clemency_Information at pap.state.ga.us<Clemency_Information%40pap.state.ga.us><mailto:
Clemency_Information%40pap.state.ga.us<Clemency_Information%2540pap.state.ga.us>>

ACTIONS SCHEDULED AROUND THE COUNTRY (list of actions, and sponsors, are in
progress, but the CEDP is
sponsoring, endorsing and/or supporting all actions below):

CHICAGO
Rally to Save Troy Davis!
Monday, September 29
12 noon
Federal Plaza (Adams & Dearborn)

NEW YORK
Rally to Save Troy Davis!
Monday, September 29
12 noon
Federal Plaza (Adams & Dearborn)

WASHINGTON, DC
Rally/Press Conference
Monday, September 29
11 a.m.
Steps of the U.S. Supreme Court (at First Street & Maryland Ave. NE)

ATTENTION!!!!! URGENT ACTION NEEDED!!!!!
> As you all know, the Supreme Court of the United States has
> granted Troy Anthony Davis a temporary stay in order to
> review the case and make a decision on whether or not to try
> him on the Federal level. We must not become complacent
> with this development and we must increase public pressure.
> Towards that end, the Black August Planning Organization and
> the Nat Turner Rebellion are going to hold a rally and press
> conference in front of the US Supreme Courts steps at First
> Street & Maryland Ave NE at 11am on Monday 9-29.

 __._,_.___  Messages in this topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CEDP_National_Office/message/1700;_ylc=X3oDMTM0M3JyYTY5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTI3ODQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BG1zZ0lkAzE3MDAEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjIyMzY1NzcxBHRwY0lkAzE3MDA->(
1)  Reply (via web post)
Start
a new topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CEDP_National_Office/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlM2ltbmRpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTI3ODQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIyMjM2NTc3MQ-->
  [image: Yahoo!
Change settings via the
Web<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CEDP_National_Office/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmc3JlYnRiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTI3ODQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjIzNjU3NzE->(Yahoo!
ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily
Digest<CEDP_National_Office-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>|
Switch
format to Traditional<CEDP_National_Office-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>
 Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CEDP_National_Office;_ylc=X3oDMTJkc2czaml2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTI3ODQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjIyMzY1Nzcx>|
Yahoo!
   Recent Activity

   -  11
   New Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CEDP_National_Office/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcTl2bTFyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTI3ODQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjIzNjU3NzE->

 Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CEDP_National_Office;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNzcwZTR1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1NTI3ODQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTIyMjM2NTc3MQ-->
 Get in Shape

Find a buddy

and lose weight.
 Yahoo! Groups

to help you find

balance in your life.
 Dog Fanatics

on Yahoo! Groups<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ot7jihd/M=493064.12016263.12445670.8674578/D=groups/S=1705063985:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1222372972/L=/B=jZH1K0LaX.k-/J=1222365772055793/A=4836045/R=0/SIG=11o19ppl5/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/dogzone/index.html>

Find people who are

crazy about dogs.
  .

--