[Peace] The Transition Movement and Transition Champaign County - Monday at 7:30

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 09:41:28 CDT 2009

I wouldn't take it as gospel, but it looks to be an effort worth playing with awhile.  As far as I can tell, it's probably too structured as is to allow poor people to find a useful place in it, and too technology-dependent, but that could change.  Maybe it can develop into something better.

I think it's a good question to raise, Mort, about large urban areas, but I don't think it's a major shortcoming.  Maybe someone should raise it at this discussion tonight.  But it seems to me, and some of our Green friends or someone else more involved in this specific movement can perhaps answer better, that the model adapts fairly well to NYC or LA, etc.  I'm thinking of the New Urbanism-style of developing "nodes" that each function as a sort of semi-town center, each with its own residential-commercial microcosm.

Big industry is a bit of an issue - but it needs rethinking anyway - and transportation outside these mini-hubs could I think easily be organized better than it is now.  (It's pretty bad in NYC, LA, et al, as soon as you get away from the wealthier areas - public transportation thins to nothing, for example, etc.  Poor people have a helluva time getting to work or to the store in huge swaths of many big cities.)

...which leads me to my next thought, what the Transition movement needs, is a little cross-pollination from these folks: http://www.equityblog.org/.

One of the things that hasn't changed much in the environmental movement in the last 20 years or so, as far as I can tell, is that - despite some excellent efforts - it's still pretty easy to get carried away with big ideas for planning and restructuring the economy, cities, etc., and forget the basic day-to-day needs of millions of poor people in our society, their perspective, their capacities (often severely limited by life under capitalism) to participate in some of these grand ideas.  It's not an insurmountable problem, to my mind, nor is it intentional, but it is persistent.  In fact, most of of the latest big environmental ideas seem to make a real *effort* to address social injustice and inequality, and therein lies my hope.

Can somebody announce the May 2 Central Illinois Social Forum at this event tonight?  Pretty please?
Ricky

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn