[Peace] Prairie Grassroots Sunday 10AM-11AM on 90.1FM and www.weft.org (webcast)

Lori A. Serb loriserb at loriserb.info
Sat Apr 25 15:46:46 CDT 2009

Broadband Internet access and the recent Economic Recovery Act: what
it means for the poor and working class in Champaign County?

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (H.R. 1, S. 1) is a
federal public law passed by the 111th United States Congress and
signed into law by President Barack Obama. The recent Economic
Recovery Act Funding is provided to award competitive grants to
accelerate broadband deployment in unserved and underserved areas and
to strategic institutions that are likely to create jobs or provide
significant public benefits. What does this mean for UIUC, Urbana and
Champaign? On Prairie Grassroots Sunday 10AM-11AM on 90.1FM and www.weft.org
  (webcast) I will be discussing this topic with 3 members of
Champaign-Urbana Open Access Coalition: Abdul Alkalimat, Safiya Umoja
Noble and Andrew Zimmerer in the studio please tune in. For more
information: www.cuopenaccess.org

Lori Serb

More information:

OPEN FORUM ON BROADBAND IN C-U & CLOSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE: took
place on APRIL 25TH. For more information: www.cuopenaccess.org
The first of a series of forums on broadband and the stimulus bill
will be held in C-U. We are calling all Champaign County residents and
their organizations to meet to discuss our next step in the
information revolution. The US government is about to grant $7 billion
to build fast  internet connections in poor neighborhoods and rural
areas – broadband to every home. The main target is the underserved,
to create and save jobs for people who need them. Can we make sure
this serves our local needs? Can we transform our community into a
national leader of community informatics, using a fully networked
social life to increase quality of life for all members of the
community? A one day meeting at the Graduate School of Library &
Information Science at the University of Illinois will be held on
April 25th from 8:30am to 2:00pm will hammer out a common vision and
build networks of community organizations to carry out a program of
action.  We are particularly reaching out to churches, PTAs, trade
unions, librarians, parents, students, schools, social service
agencies, farmers, farm workers, youth organizations and gangs, hip
hop heads and all kinds of cultural producers, businesses, and
political leadership at all levels. This is a call to everybody to
join the information revolution!"

Champaign-Urbana Open Access Coalition: An emerging inclusive
coalition of community organizations and individuals who are exploring
the possibilities of open access to broadband and digital inclusion
within Champaign-Urbana, focusing on the North End and surrounding
rural communities. Their website www.cuopenaccess.org is designed to
foster communication and information exchange as this process
develops, with the intent of organizing access that is open,
affordable (or free) to neighborhoods in C-U that are currently
underserved.