[Peace] Saturdays Flier

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 4 18:51:07 CST 2009

There's no doubt that the attack on Gaza was done with US permission (and would
not have been done without it).  The Bush administration had withheld permission
for an attack on Lebanon until the summer of 2006, and they pointedly released
the information that they had withheld permission for an attack on Iran.

And the suppression of the Palestinians is a central part of the US war in the
ME. Some say it's the central point.  Al-Qaeda said that its 9/11/2001 attacks
in the US were reprisals for (1) US troops in Saudi Arabia; (2) sanctions
against Iraq; and (3) the suppression of the Palestinians.

The US support for the suppression of the Palestinians -- i.e., US rejection of
the two-state solution -- is not just a favor to the Israelis. A truly
independent Palestinian state would surely be another opponent to US domination
of the region (one reason that right-wing Arab governments are at best lukewarm
supporters of the Palestinians).

US support for Israel -- so strong that some think the control runs the other
way (cf. tail/dog) -- exists because of Israel's crucial aid in US foreign
policy, ever since their defeat of secular Arab nationalism in 1967.  The
"stationary aircraft carrier" as Chomsky says received weapons shipments during
the Gaza assault that were being positioned for use elsewhere in the ME, as they
regularly are.  --CGE