[Peace] Fwd: calling the cops in Jo Daviess County

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 11:50:31 CST 2009

      Well, I went and did it.  I called the cops on us.   This is what I
told them:

       This is to give you a "heads up" that a group of citizens is
organizing a demonstration at Blackwater North in Jo Daviess county for this
April,  and that some participants will engage in civil disobedience, most
likely simple trespass.
       Details of the demonstration will be forthcoming, but we want you to
know that our intentions are to be non-violent and respectful, and our
planning completely transparent.   We are protesting Blackwater and the
privatization of military and law enforcement, not challenging the laws or
your authority.   All individuals will be responsible for their own actions,
and will accept the consequences.
       We would like to work with the Sheriff's Office, the State's
Attorney, and Berreman Township officials to insure a peaceful demonstration
and protect public safety.
       Father Frank Cordaro of the Des Moines Catholic Worker House is
spearheading the four-day Retreat and Conference that will culminate in a
demonstration at Blackwater.  He will be coming to the area in mid-February.
 He would like to meet with you, if possible, to discuss "arrangements".

       The following is a brief summary of planned events.

       April 24
Friday evening is set a side for arrivals and gathering.   A social
time, a chance for locals and Catholic Workers to mingle, with a
circle of intros, music, and partying.

April 25
Saturday will be a day-long Conference on Blackwater with break-out
sessions and keynote speaker Jeremy Scahill, author of  "Blackwater:
The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army".

April 26 Sunday
Morning worship with Unitarian Universalist Church.  Afternoon
community building, sharing, nonviolence training and action planning.
 Social gathering at night.

April 27 Monday -
Direct Action Civil Disobedience at Blackwater North.

The Midwest Catholic Workers are organizing the gathering, along with
Clearwater, a northern Illinois citizens group seeking to preserve
civilian control over law enforcement and military activity and
training, and opposed to the privatization of war and law enforcement.

The Stockton Unitarian Universalist Church is renting facilities for
the event and supports "the right of individual conscience", but is
not a conference sponsor.

Local residents are urged to attend one or more of the weekend's
events, and participate according to their own conscience.

Volunteers are also being sought to help organize local activities, as
well as provide beds for visiting Catholic Workers.

If you would like more information, or would like to participate or
volunteer, please feel free to contact me by email or:

Martin Hippie,
1015 E. Schapville Rd., Elizabeth, IL 61028
815-845-2608
<popeace at aeroinc.net>

And CWers needing info contact:
Frank Cordaro