[Peace] Ask producers of "24" to stop promoting torture (Human Rights First on-line petititon)

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 15 11:14:38 CST 2009

I've just signed this petition.  Thought others here might want to, too.

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 02:18:09 GMT
From: Human Rights First <Communications at HumanRightsFirst.org>
Subject: Ask Producers of '24' to Stop Promoting Torture
To: Stuart Levy <slevy at new.math.uiuc.edu>

Dear Stuart,

The 7th season of "24" began Sunday on The FOX Network. The
program is essentially an hour long, prime time advertisement
for torture.

Please join us in signing a letter to the Executive Producers
asking them to show torture in a more responsible manner.

http://action.humanrightsfirst.org/campaign/ptt_stop_torture/

The first four episodes of the program, which aired on Sunday
and Monday nights, appear to be designed to prove that those who
are on the front lines in the struggle to stop terrorism
understand that torture is an effective and necessary tool.

Watch our review of "24" - a 3-minute video that examines the
first four episodes of Season 7.

http://action.humanrightsfirst.org/campaign/ptt_stop_torture/

Here are some of the plot points:

* An FBI agent who is presented as adamantly opposed to torture
drops her opposition soon after she is put in charge of an
investigation to stop terrorists from killing thousands of
Americans.

* Jack Bauer, the hero of the show, delivers a passionate
defense of his use of torture while hero music plays in the
background. Later a U.S. security agent tells Bauer that "it is
wrong" that some people question Bauer's use of abusive
interrogation tactics.

* Several torture scenes depict torture being used by Bauer and
other "patriots" who supposedly have no other choice. Every time
the good guys use torture terrorists immediately provide
information.

Obviously many of the more than 12 million people who tuned in
for the opening episodes are sophisticated enough to understand
that this is just TV. But the relentless promotion of torture by
"24" has already had an impact. Military educators report that
"24" is one of the biggest problems they have in their
classrooms and junior soldiers - even interrogators at
Guantanamo Bay - have copied techniques they have seen depicted
on the program, according to information gathered by journalists
and Human Rights First.

We are concerned about the impact of "24" abroad as well. The
first six seasons were re-broadcast in dozens of countries
(including a number of countries in the Middle East) where the
program has undoubtedly reinforced negative stereotypes about
U.S. forces and the way they treat detainees.

At a time when President-elect Obama is considering action that
will close the door on the sorts of abuse that Bauer specializes
in, we are urging "24" to stop promoting torture.

Please join us in sending a letter to the Executive Producers of
the program that encourages them to begin showing torture in a
more responsible fashion.

http://action.humanrightsfirst.org/campaign/ptt_stop_torture/

Sincerely,

David Danzig
Director, Primetime Torture Project

PS We have made a training film for use in military classrooms.
The film features interviews with real-life interrogators who
explain that torture may work on TV but it won't work in the
field. Every time we show the film to soldiers, sailors and
marines in training they ask the same questions. "If Bauer's
techniques don't work, what does? How do you 'break' a hardened
terrorist and get him to talk?" To answer these questions as
fully and powerfully as possible we have decided to make a
second training film that will also feature real-life
interrogators talking about their methods rather than commenting
on Bauer's. Please support the production of this film. Those
who contribute $250 or more to production will have their names
listed in the credit portion of the film.

https://secure.ga1.org/05/etn_ptt/n71xCl4d1GgrC?