[Peace] Anti-war demonstration *this Sat*, 7/11, 2-4pm, Main & Neil, Champaign

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 9 18:19:32 CDT 2009

Everybody,

Our monthly anti-war demonstration is *this* Saturday, July 11th,
at the usual 2-4pm, at the usual Main & Neil in downtown Champaign.
(It was delayed a week from its usual first-Saturday date to avoid the 4th.
In August, we'll return to the usual day, Aug 1st.)

This month, we hope to have a flyer about the US' history with respect to Iran.

Our media have been promoting the Iranian-government-vs-rights-of-demonstrators
issue -- as opposed, say, to promoting the question of the rights of
Afghan and Pakistani civilians who are being killed in large numbers
by our own government's actions -- but the motives for choosing sides
in Iranian disputes are cloudy at best, as the US has a long history
of interfering in Iran's affairs.

Why these monthly demonstrations?

Protesting is no less important now than it was under the Bush Administration:
far too many people are complacent that Obama will go for peace and justice if
we just cut him a little slack.  It is not working out that way.

Why is the US committing widespread violence in Afghanistan, killing more
civilians than the insurgents are, while discouraging the Afghan government
from negotiating with those same insurgents?  Why are we bombing civilians in
Pakistani tribal areas, and pushing the Pakistani military to displace
millions of their own people?  If the US claims to oppose terrorism, why have we
supported Jundallah in Iran, who just last May (5/28/09) suicide-bombed an
Iranian mosque?  When will we put real pressure on Israel to lift its illegal siege of
Gaza, or dismantle West Bank settlements?  Why on *earth* is the Obama Administration
creating a a legal framework for detaining people indefinitely *without charge*,
and talking about it as if it were a perfectly normal thing to do?

Whether you see the Obama Administration as happy to continue Bush policies, or
think that they'll willingly do the right thing if they see enough political
support ... either way, we need to let the Administration, the Congress,
and our fellow citizens know that they are not doing the right thing now.

Please join us and protest.  Bring a sign or use one of ours.
All are welcome.