[Peace] anti-war demonstration Sat 2-4pm! And, People's Pot Luck, Sunday @ 6pm @ IMC

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 4 13:37:31 CDT 2009

Hey peaceniks,

AWARE's monthly anti-war/pro-peace demonstration is this Saturday,
June 6th, at the usual place & time: 2-4PM, first Sat. of each month,
at Main and Neil in downtown Champaign.

[Also: on Sunday, remember the monthly People's Pot Luck at the
Independent Media Center at Broadway and Elm in downtown Urbana --
that's Sunday June 7th, starting around 6pm.

If you're interested in forging stronger bonds in our community,
want to rally around important issues like housing, jobs, food,
and health care, come to the June 7th People's Potluck!
Bring yourself, others, and (if you like) a dish to share.]

Back to the Saturday protest...

Protesting is no less important now than it was under the Bush Administration:
far too many people are complacent that Obama will go for peace and justice if
we just cut him a little slack.  It is not working out that way.

Why is the US committing widespread violence in Afghanistan, killing more
civilians than the insurgents are, while discouraging the Afghan government
from negotiating with those same insurgents?  Why are we bombing civilians in
Pakistani tribal areas, and pushing the Pakistani military to displace three
million of their own people?  If the US claims to oppose terrorism, why have we
supported Jundallah in Iran, who just last week (5/28/09) suicide-bombed a
mosque?  When will we put real pressure on Israel to lift its illegal siege of
Gaza, or dismantle West Bank settlements?  Why on *earth* are we hearing
talk of creating a legal framework for detaining people indefinitely without
charge, or creating a special law to prevent photographic evidence of
US-committed torture from ever being released?

Whether you see the Obama Administration as happy to continue Bush policies, or
think that they'll willingly do the right thing if they see enough political
support ... either way, we need to let the Administration, the Congress,
and our fellow citizens know that they are not doing the right thing now.

Please join us and protest.  Bring a sign or use one of ours.
All are welcome.