[Peace] Re: Military recruitment Centennial HS, and peace-list policy

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 4 16:19:39 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 03:13:06PM -0500, Marti Wilkinson wrote:
> Let me see...a possible meeting with the principal at Centennial to discuss
> military recruitment does not count as an announcement? Even though there
> are people who would be interested in knowing but who choose to not
> subscribe to the discuss board. Granted my comment was irrelevant and, for
> that, I stand corrected. Beyond that I do see the original email as being
> consistent with an announcement of sorts. I've copied one of the moderators
> to get some clarification on this.

My take as one of the peace/peace-discuss moderators
(which yes, I am copying to peace, since it's good to clarify this
once in a while):

   Yes, Mort's announcement of the issue and potential meeting is fine
	for the peace list.  And Mort was right to invite interested
	people to write to him.

	It could have been a good idea for Mort to set the "Reply-To:"
	field to his own address, or to peace-discuss, or something,
	so that people who just casually replied wouldn't
	end up broadcasting to peace.  I'm doing that with *this* note.

   Jenifer's reply would have been better sent to just Mort,
	or to peace-discuss, but not to the peace list.
	So I agree with Al Kagan on that one.

   It *would* make sense to broadcast to peace again once an actual
	date is set, say, or if the principal were to back out,
	or if Mort wanted again to invite people to participate
	once he returns, or some other major development.

   I'd rather have seen most of the discussion of arrangements
	for remembering Dr. Tiller this weekend to have happened
	off the peace list.

	It was fine to send the initial suggestion to peace,
	and to post the announcement of this evening's organizing
	meeting (7pm Thu 6/4, Women's Resource Center, 603 S. Wright)
	here too.   And I hope there'll be another announcement here
	once the details are set.  Even though women's issues aren't
	in AWARE's purview, surely many AWARE members are interested.
	(I am!)

	But it'd have been better to keep the discussion of
	possible locations, or kinds of events, or whether Dr. Tiller's
	work was worthy of praise, or whatever, off the main peace list.
	Some of that discussion went to peace-discuss, which seems fine.

my couple cents.

   Stuart