[Peace] Friday night at the IMC: LGBTQA Caucus Film Fest Dress up and express yourself!

Lori A. Serb loriserb at loriserb.info
Thu May 7 10:39:04 CDT 2009

Calling all activists and organizers!

I need your help to get out the word about an opportunity to connect
with others and participate in a collective, inclusive and diverse
communal space here in C-U. The Graduate Employees' Organization has
an LGBTQA Caucus that is celebrating more than 2 years of existence in
an effort to address the need for a safe, non-discriminatory space for
queer grads and their allies employed by the University and the
broader c-u community. The LGBTQA Caucus strives to provide an ongoing
network for LGBTQA folks and an opportunity to reach out and help
others with similar concerns about the need for spaces to challenge
the mainstream culture. As many of us know there are not a lot of safe
spaces to be ourselves and it is up to us to create them. The LGBTQA
Caucus is putting on an event Friday night at the IMC which is open to
all and I hope you will consider joining me and please help spread the
word:

The DI and the Buzz today published our ad -- we're on the second page
of sports in the DI, and the Buzz put us on their calendar highlights
(big spot on page 3). A moment of bliss (price tag: $100) in an
otherwise shitty company paper.

***LGBTQA Caucus Film Fest & Hair Show!***
Friday, May 8th, 7-11PM
Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway, Urbana (post office)

Sing along to John Waters'  HAIRSPRAY (7pm) and HEDWIG & THE ANGRY
INCH (9pm). Costumes and zany hairstyles strongly encouraged. Enter
the Hair Show at intermission to win a prize for best hair! Admission
is $2. Suggested donations for refreshments to support the Greater
Community AIDS Project.

For more information about this event or the LGBTQA
Caucus of the Graduate Employees' Organization, please contact the GEO
at (217) 344-8283 / lserb at uigeo.org
or visit www.uigeo.org

-------DI