[Peace] 5/9 Sat 2-4pm AWARE Demonstration -and- 5/10 2pm film "The Take"

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri May 8 17:04:46 CDT 2009

Two AWARE events this weekend:

  - anti-war demonstration on Saturday, and
  - film "The Take" on Sunday afternoon:

* Monthly peace demonstration

      Saturday 5/9   2-4pm
      Main & Neil, downtown Champaign - back at the usual place

    “The Main Event” - AWARE's monthly street demonstration in downtown Champaign.
    (Usually the first Saturday of each month, and it will be 1st Sat. in future,
     but was delayed a week this month only because of the Social Forum last week.)

    Largely focused on opposing the US occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan
    (or "AfPak"), but there is no shortage of issues to demonstrate about.
    Use one of our signs or bring your own.

    We may have a flyer this time based on Glen Ford's article on the
    current defeat of the anti-war movement:

	http://www.blackagendareport.com/?q=content/first-black-president-defeats-us-antiwar-movement

    or it might be something specifically on what we're up to in
    Afghanistan/Pakistan.

    Please join us!

* "The Take" -- documentary film by Avi Lewis and Naomi Klein

   Sunday 5/10   2:00 - 4:30pm
   Champaign Public Library (Robeson Pavilion rooms A & B)

   Free showing of this great film.
   Discussion and refreshments afterward.

    "In suburban Buenes Aires, thirty unemployed auto-parts workers walk into their
    idle factory, roll out sleeping mats and refuse to leave.
    All they want is to re-start the silent machines.  But this simple act --
    The Take -- has the power to turn the globalization debate on its head.

    The story of the workers' struggle is set against the dramatic backdrop of
    a crucial presidential election in Argentina, in which the architect of the
    economic collapse, Carlos Menem, is the front-runner.  His cronies, the former
    owners, are circling: if he wins, they'll take back the companies that the
    movement has worked so hard to revive.

    Armed only with slingshots and an abiding faith in shop-floor democracy, the
    workers face off against the bosses, bankers and a whole system that sees
    their beloved factories as nothing more than scrap metal for sale."

   Sponsored by AWARE and Jobs with Justice.