[Peace] "Lasting legacy of Lincoln" 4th of July parade -- who wants to play?

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu May 28 10:44:58 CDT 2009

Peaceniks,

Want to be involved in working up AWARE's float in this year's
4th of July parade?

Theme for 2009  [ http://www.july4th.net/parade/ ]:

    The Lasting Legacy of Lincoln

We need...

   - ... people to help plan just what we'll do.  Build a float?
     (Wayne Johnson can provide a trailer.)   Or, have a group
     of walking people carrying placards?

   - ... to settle on enough details that we can turn in our
     application by June 20th.  (I'm happy to submit the application.)

   - ... *especially*, someone willing to coordinate the whole thing,
     call meetings, make sure loose ends get tied up!

Who wants to play?

Ideas have been flying around the peace-discuss list.   Some recent ones:

   - signs bearing brief quotes from Lincoln,
	with modern illustrations.  Carl has put together about a dozen
	really fine ones.   Below are a few; for his full list see:

	    http://lists.chambana.net/mailman/archive/peace-discuss/2009-May/022687.html

	* "Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation whenever he shall
	deem it necessary to repel an invasion ... and you allow him
	to make war at pleasure.
	[PHOTO = LIST OF COUNTRIES & DATE WE INVADED THEM (last 20 YEARS):
	 PANAMA-1989 SOMALIA-1992 HAITI-1994 SERBIA-1999 AFGHANISTAN-2001
	 IRAQ-2003 PAKISTAN-2009]

        * "Teach all the folly of being the beginners of a war."
	[PHOTO = BUSH'S "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" BANNER]

	* No man is good enough to govern another man
	  without that other's consent.
	[PHOTO = ISRAELI CHECK-POINT ON W. BANK]

	* Why should there not be a patient confidence in the ultimate justice
	of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world?
	    [PHOTO = HOWARD ZINN'S "PEOPLE'S HISTORY OF THE US"]

    - placards bearing names, dates, maybe brief information about
	anti-war and anti-slavery *people* from Lincoln's time,
	such as...

	   Frederick Douglass

	   Elijah Lovejoy [abolitionist newspaper editor in Alton, IL,
			    murdered by a pro-slavery mob in 1837]

	   Lysander Spooner [an abolitionist, but also an opponent of the Civil War]

	   maybe Henry David Thoreau?