[Peace] another AWARE film... 2pm, Sunday, November 15, Champaign Public Library, room C (main floor, near the coffee shop)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Nov 9 13:13:32 CST 2009

Wise's position is identity politics verging on the demagogic.

It well illustrates the difference between liberals (like him) and the left.  Where the left wants to talk about class and equality, liberals substitute race and diversity.  And (esp. if they are white) get quite heated about it.

I'd  suggest as a bit of intellectual self-defense for this film a reading of Walter Benn Michaels, "The Trouble with Diversity."  Or Slavoj Zizek on the Pomo triad, race, gender, & class.  --CGE