[Peace] another AWARE film... 2pm, Sunday, November 15, Champaign Public Library, room C (main floor, near the coffee shop)

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 9 15:23:12 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 01:13:32PM -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Wise's position is identity politics verging on the demagogic.

I can't speak to what else Wise may have said, but for this film,
I strongly disagree.

But rather than discussing it in this list which is not intended
for discussions (replies set to peace-discuss at anti-war.net),
I'll refer interested readers to my peace-discuss comments on
On White Privilege and other matters from last year:
    http://lists.chambana.net/mailman/archive/peace-discuss/2008-August/017749.html
and urge people to come see this film -- Sunday, Nov. 15th, 2pm,
Champaign Public Library Robeson room "C".

I'll add a little more about the film though.  It opened my eyes
to a view of Privilege in general -- whether white or otherwise.
Privileged people (whether privileged by race, class, citizen-of-empire
position, ...) suppose that they don't need to worry about what
less-privileged people think about them.  "They will greet us
in the streets with flowers" (the pre-Iraq-invasion neocon language)
is the voice of Privilege speaking, as Wise says in this film.

   Stuart