[Peace] Assistance for Safe Haven Community

Gordon Oyer faithforsafehaven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:02:54 CDT 2009

In late August a group of local congregations began meeting to discuss ways
to support both the Safe Haven Community of homeless individuals and St.
Mary Catholic Church in it role as their host.

Safe Haven's ongoing material needs continue, and support in this area is
always welcome.  Our most urgent need, however, is for a facility to provide
sanctuary for the community through the winter months.  St. Mary graciously
continues to welcome the community into the fall, but their need for winter
accommodation remains.

The Faith Coalition has posed this question to  the broader local faith
community, and we also ask members of this distribution  list to offer any
suggestions of let us know of any ideas for or interest in providing winter
facilities for Safe Haven community.  Our message distributed to local faith
communities read in part as follows:

> *Our immediate need is for a facility or facilities to provide sanctuary
> for the Safe Haven community now and through the winter months.*  If you
> might consider providing facilities for this purpose, please contact us as
> soon as possible for further discussion. Accommodations need to include
> heated space with room to sleep 20 or more individuals, plus access to
> bathroom and kitchen facilities. Ideally, the same space would be available
> for at least three months, with several organizations rotating the hosting
> responsibilities. Our ultimate goal is to find property on which to build
> semi-permanent micro-houses as year-round shelters for Safe Haven.  We would
> hope to accomplish this by winter 2011.

If you have suggestions or input regarding this need, please respond to:

faithforsafehaven at gmail.com.

Thank you for considering it.

Gordon Oyer
on behalf of the