No subject

Mon Sep 28 15:09:14 CDT 2009

steadily recurring events(like a weekly rally) catch people's attention,
so if they can't make the rally one week, they may be able to make it over
to the next one.  The trick was to make planning each week's
rally not a huge energy drain for the organizers, so that it stayed
sustainable. PRC was running the rallies, and had the hour divided up with
time for speakers, some political theater, and some open mike.

If SPA could reserve Monday noon, with a mike, for the next few weeks,
that would be great.(Yeah, I know, you're probably pretty pooped from
yesterday's effort) Even having an open mike, with people getting up to
say how each feels, can be really effective. Perhaps next Monday's
rally could be that, so as not to loom as another big organizing
event. It's possible AWARE can help out with speakers and with
organizing.  This Saturday's protest is being steered by powerful
feminists in town--Kim Kranich, Danielle Chynoweth, with support from Mary
Lee Sargeant---and these women are inspiring speakers who could be asked
to speak.

The rage against our legalized criminals is there. Our work as activists
might now be to organize forums for the discontent, in order to
PUSH and amplify the discontentedness(not to make people content,
but to make them even MORE publicly discontent)---where people can hear
themselves speak out("have voice", as the expression goes), and where
people can suggest to each other what to do. For example, a rally can
become a sit-in,or a "Shout-the-Quad-Down" march(where the marchers make
noise so as to disturb Quad classes) etc---people, if really fed up and
discontent and in a large group, can start rocking the boat.(Dear FBI,
while reading this letter, realize my examples are all LEGAL protest
measures, ho hum).

And if there were weekly rallies for the next few weeks, then it's
possible we could get a large number of people to go to Washington on Oct.
26.As you know, people having the experience of traveling together to a
large protest rally can change their lives.

I know SPA meets on Wednesdays, so I'm wondering if you all could
consider it. We, of AWARE, can't legally have a rally on the Quad(we're
not a student organization) which is one reason why I/we/it needs you all.

susan