No subject

Mon Sep 28 15:09:14 CDT 2009

jikpsk at springnet1.com

TO: WILPF, Heartland, the Springfield Peace Coalition and all people
concerned about our country's rush to war and the Bush administration's
secretive, rights-bashing policies:

In Abe Lincoln's home town, it is time to stand up for peace and democracy.
President Bush, we are not fooled! Paul Wellstone, we carry on your legacy!

President Bush will be in Springfield Sunday November 3
Tell him what you think of his rush to war against Iraq

President Bush will attend a Republican rally to be held (by invite only!)
in the Old State Capitol. Anti-war demonstrators committed to nonviolence
should  meet on Sunday, November 3 at 11 a.m. on the SE corner of the Old
State Capitol plaza -- where it borders 6th street just at the point Adams
deadends across the street. The SE corner of the Old State Capitol mall can
also be described as across the street from the big gray 1930s office
building and katty corner some restored law offices on 6th and Adams. If
there isn't room there, the public sidewalks on 6th St. would be a good
place to gather. We'll have to play it by ear a bit. We don't know how many
people we'll have. One good rule: have a buddy with you.

Mary Wood WILPF and the other organizations that belong to the newly renewed
Springfield Peace Coalition got in touch this morning with Chicago ANSWER
(coalition v. war and racism -- part of the national organization that did
the huge nonviolent DC protests of April 20 and October 26). This means we
will get help from peace and justice organizations statewide in responding
to Bush's November 3 visit.

TIPS
    ANSWER suggests that we bring as many signs and make as much noise as
possible. A cheap noise maker is whistles like those used by elementary
school gym teachers and coaches.Those combined with a signs saying "Blow the
whistle on Bush's war" would work. We can also bring drums and other
noisemakers. I will bring my bag of posters and people should make their
own. Another idea is those helium-filled balloons you get for birthdays and
other special occasions. Glue peace signs and "NO WAR" signs on them and let
them rise strings over the crowd. Bring flags too if you have them. Most of
all your energy and spirit of nonviolent resistance.

    ANSWER also suggests that people try to get tickets to the rally, which
will be held inside the Old State Capitol. You can call Jim Ryan's campaign
headquarters in Springfield. If you manage to get tickets, contact me at
793-5074 or jikpsk at springnet1.com or ANSWER (Andy Thayer at 773-209-1187 --
cell phone).

OUT OF TOWNERS
    There is paid parking underneath the Old State Capitol, entrance on 6th
Street -- which runs one-way north. The Old State Capitol plaza is bordered
by Washington St. on the North, 6th Street on the East, a closed-to-traffic
Adams St. on the South, and 5th Street on the West. 5th and 7th streets are
one-way South. 4th and 6th streets are one-way North. 2nd is
two-way.Jefferson is one-way west, Washington is one-way East, Adams one-way
West, Monroe one way East, Capitol is two way. Parking can be found along
these streets on weekends -- though you may have to park a couple of blocks
away if there are a lot of people at the rally.
    Coming into Springfield on I-55 or I-72, you get off at Clear Lake Ave.
exit and go East on Clear Lake. Clear Lake turns into a one-way expressway
that takes you east into downtown Springfield. The Old State Capitol Mall is
between 5th and 6th and Washington and Adams. You would take the 5th Street
Exit -- but as I say, you may have to opt for parking on 4th (one-way north)
or 7th  (one-way) south or some of the cross streets.

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C28118.EA5173C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><STRONG>Hi all, this is an announcement from my good friend Peggy =
in=20
Springfield - I will&nbsp;<SPAN class=3D520240202-01112002>be =
</SPAN>going=20
to&nbsp;<SPAN class=3D520240202-01112002>this =
rally-</SPAN></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>T<SPAN class=3D520240202-01112002>h</SPAN>ere are good =
directions for=20
those coming from out of town at the bottom of this message- Meridith=20
</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------------------------</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>From Peggy Sower Knoeple * Mary Wood WILPF&nbsp; =
217/793-5074 * <A=20
href=3D"mailto:jikpsk at springnet1.com">jikpsk at springnet1.com</A> =
</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>TO: WILPF, Heartland, the Springfield Peace Coalition and =
all=20
people concerned about our&nbsp;country's rush to war and&nbsp;the Bush=20
administration's secretive, rights-bashing policies:</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Lucida Calligraphy" size=3D3><EM>In =
Abe Lincoln's=20
home town, it is time to stand up for peace and =
democracy.</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3D"Lucida Calligraphy" =
size=3D3><EM>President Bush, we=20
are not fooled! Paul Wellstone, we carry on your =
legacy!</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D5><STRONG>President Bush will be in&nbsp;Springfield =
Sunday=20
November 3</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D5><STRONG>Tell him what you think of his rush to war =
against=20
Iraq</STRONG></FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>President Bush will attend a Republican rally to be held =
(by invite=20
only!) in the Old State Capitol. Anti-war demonstrators committed to =
nonviolence=20
should&nbsp; meet&nbsp;on Sunday, November&nbsp;3 at 11 a.m.&nbsp;on the =
SE=20
corner of the Old State Capitol plaza -- where it borders 6th street =
just at the=20
point Adams deadends across the street.&nbsp;The SE corner&nbsp;of the =
Old State=20
Capitol mall can also be described as across the street from the big =
gray 1930s=20
office building and katty corner some restored law offices on 6th and =
Adams. If=20
there isn't room there, the public sidewalks&nbsp;on =
6th&nbsp;St.&nbsp;would be=20
a good place to gather. We'll have to play it by ear a bit. We don't =
know how=20
many people we'll have. <U>One good&nbsp;rule: have a buddy with you.=20
</U></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Mary Wood WILPF and the other organizations that belong to =
the=20
newly&nbsp;renewed Springfield Peace Coalition got&nbsp;in =
touch&nbsp;this=20
morning with Chicago ANSWER (coalition v. war and racism -- part of the=20
national&nbsp;organization that did the huge nonviolent DC protests of =
April 20=20
and October 26). This means we will get&nbsp;help from peace and justice =

organizations statewide&nbsp;in responding to&nbsp;Bush's November 3=20
visit.&nbsp;&nbsp; </STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>TIPS</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ANSWER suggests that we bring as many signs and =
make as=20
much noise as possible. A cheap noise maker is whistles like =
those&nbsp;used by=20
elementary school gym teachers and&nbsp;coaches.Those combined with =
a&nbsp;signs=20
saying "Blow the whistle on Bush's war" would work.&nbsp;We can also =
bring drums=20
and other noisemakers. I will bring my bag of posters and people should =
make=20
their own. Another idea is those helium-filled balloons you get=20
for&nbsp;birthdays and other special occasions. Glue&nbsp;peace signs =
and "NO=20
WAR"&nbsp;signs on them and let them rise strings over the =
crowd.&nbsp;Bring=20
flags too if you have them. Most of all your energy and spirit of =
nonviolent=20
resistance.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ANSWER also suggests that people try to get =
tickets to=20
the rally, which will be held inside the Old State Capitol. You can call =
Jim=20
Ryan's campaign headquarters in Springfield. If you manage to get =
tickets,=20
contact me at 793-5074 or <FONT color=3D#000000><A=20
href=3D"mailto:jikpsk at springnet1.com">jikpsk at springnet1.com</A> or =
ANSWER (Andy=20
Thayer at 773-209-1187&nbsp;-- cell phone).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>OUT OF TOWNERS</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There is paid parking underneath the Old State =
Capitol,=20
entrance on 6th Street -- which runs one-way north. The Old State =
Capitol=20
plaza&nbsp;is bordered by Washington St. on the North, 6th Street on the =
East, a=20
closed-to-traffic Adams St. on the South, and 5th Street on=20
the&nbsp;West.&nbsp;5th and 7th streets are one-way South. 4th and 6th =
streets=20
are one-way North. 2nd is two-way.Jefferson is one-way&nbsp;west, =
Washington is=20
one-way East, Adams one-way West,&nbsp;Monroe one way East, =
Capitol&nbsp;is two=20
way. Parking can be found along these streets on weekends -- though you =
may have=20
to park a couple of blocks away if there are a lot of people at the =
rally.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Coming into Springfield on I-55 or I-72, you get =
off at=20
Clear Lake Ave. exit and go East on Clear Lake. Clear Lake turns into a =
one-way=20
expressway that takes you east into downtown Springfield. The Old State =
Capitol=20
Mall is between 5th and 6th and Washington and Adams. You would take the =
5th=20
Street Exit -- but as I say, you may have to opt for parking on 4th =
(one-way=20
north) or 7th&nbsp; (one-way) south or some of the cross=20
streets.</DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C28118.EA5173C0--